Increasing MD levels out?

Shepherd

Hi all,

I'm doing a fair bit of field recording now with a Sony MD recorder (RZ900), and when I dump it into my computer (using a Delta 44 sound card), it is invariably vewwy, vewwy quiet. I've been having to normalize using software (Goldwave) to bring levels up to normal.

Does anybody else have this problem?

I'm letting the recorder auto-set levels because interviewees occasionally get excitable, yell, etc; in some environments there are infrequent and unpredicable loud noises, and I'm loath to set the mic level myself and risk tons of peaks.

Suggestions? Should I just buy some sort of pre-amp to go between the output (headphone) jack and the Delta 44 inputs?

Shepherd said:
Sony MD recorder (RZ900), and when I dump it into my computer (using a Delta 44 sound card), it is invariably vewwy, vewwy quiet. I've been having to normalize using software (Goldwave) to bring levels up to normal.

The Sony must be doing something odd.

Delta 44 with Sharp MD, on the -10 setting -- full volume on the Sharp and 0db is just knocking on 0db on the computer. This is how it should be, according to the manual, where the volume is "cut only" from a nominal level of 0db at full volume.

When you say "very" quiet -- what are we talking about? Can you see what the signal should be peaking at from the Sony's level meter? What are the peak DB's in Goldwave? Have you got the Sony volume up? Is the Delta sensitivity switched down accordingly from +4 to consumer to -10 (check the control panel applet)?

Is the Sony a real "line out" that's expecting to drive into a line signal, or is producing a low output because it is expecting a speaker (and there's no real "load" there)? I've seen that happen before. Hopefully, Sony will have made it "multipurpose" enough to work.

No, normalising after is not a good idea, because the signal is too small to start with -- it just spreads your 12bit recording over the 16 bit range :) It's a sticking plaster ... fix the real problem!

P.S. The auto level set will probably cause you more headaches than it will fix. Many performances have been ruined by that infernal AGC kicking in, leading to people having to fix the sudden drop and fade in ... by hand. Yuk. Again a bit of a sticking plaster .... look at the levels, adjust them, leave them a little on the conservative side, and make good recordings !

Mike.

Also, have you checked your recording level on your PC? Remember that playback levels are seperate from recording levels on the PC!!

Re: Re: Increasing MD levels out?

mjbee said:
The Sony must be doing something odd.

When you say "very" quiet -- what are we talking about? Can you see what the signal should be peaking at from the Sony's level meter? What are the peak DB's in Goldwave? Have you got the Sony volume up? Is the Delta sensitivity switched down accordingly from +4 to consumer to -10 (check the control panel applet)?

I think my original record level on the MD was just way, way too low. I've got all of the above OK and I'm peaking at about -18. Thankfully with a mono voice interview, normalizing doesn't make it sound much worse in this case, but I'll have to be more careful to get good levels in the future.

There's no real "line out," just the headphone jack and the volume at 100%.

I'll start avoiding the auto-level from now on and try maxing out my original levels more. Thanks for all the good advice...

- Matt

Hngh. Okay, I did another field interview yesterday and made extra-sure to get great levels on the MD. I still can't get over -12 for recording levels plugging it into the computer.

As stated, I'm just using the headphone out on the Sony MD. There's no dedicated "line out" jack.

My computer hardware/software settings seem to be optimized (-10 on the Delta control panel, all levels at 0 dB), but I've posted a question about that over in the "Computers and Sound Cards" forum just to cover my bases.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Im kinda interested in these interviews...what with all the screaming and yelling going on.....Have you considered posting them in the clinic? I'm sure you could encode the mp3's ultra small.

I think a mic pre will help you. There are some really small stealth style ones available at www.soundprofessionals.com
This will get you ultra clean recordings at high enough levels to play with.
Maybe thats overkill....
Nevermind

Back