In search of a Acoustic Pre

Pro Tools User

Looking for ideals on which direction to go. I have no real world experience with either of these pres that I have been considering. I'm only looking for a single channel pre for acoustics...so my choices so far have been between the

Avalon M5 and Millenia Media TD-1
Not asking for you guys to decide for me but give me some thoughts and share your experience.

What Im working with so far is 4 digi 002 pres, 2 Vintech 1272 pres along with a Digimax 8 ch pre. I have two channels left to fill,,,one is going to be a vocal pre probably Avalon 737 but for now Im focusing on one of the above choices. If you guys care to suggest another pre to throw in the mix that would be great also.
Peace Eddie

Why only one channel for acoustic? The mp3s I've heard of the John Hardy M1 on acou guit put it high on my list of pres to try when I upgrade my clean pre. I also liked the Speck (which is only $700 at Mercenary through December). I consistently picked the Speck on acou guit over other high-end pres in a blind shootout a while back. Yeah, it was only an internet mp3 shootout, so YMMV.

tdukex said:
Why only one channel for acoustic? The mp3s I've heard of the John Hardy M1 on acou guit put it high on my list of pres to try when I upgrade my clean pre.
The reason Im only looking for 1 channel is because with PT LE, Im allowed 18 inputs 2 of the 18 are spdif so that leaves me with 16. So as I explained in my first post. I have 8 digimax going in adat, then I have 2 Vintech going in open channels 5 and 6. The only open inputs i have left are 7 and 8. So this is how I end up back to get only 1 acoustic pre and then one solid vocal pre. The vintech is the center piece. The digimax does alot of things good, so that is my for filling in the gaps. I rate the 4 digi 002 pres right along with the digimax. For me Im tryin to get an array of different flavors that all taste good together. Does this make sense or have I completely lost my mind. lol :D

tdukex said:
I also liked the Speck (which is only $700 at Mercenary through December). I consistently picked the Speck on acou guit over other high-end pres in a blind shootout a while back.
Im glad you mentioned Speck and John hardy. I need to get back to the listening sessions see if I can find a good comparison of them all. Great alternatives. Ty

The Listening Sessions

Last edited:
I would like to cast another vote for the John Hardy M1. However, you may like it so much that you will wish you had 2 channels...

If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase a one channel unit that is set up to add more channels later.

I had to chuckle. I went to Mercenary to see the special, and the dual channel strip special at the bottom of the page has the "regular" price of $2500 crossed out because the monthly "special" on that piece is now $2650.

K

John Hardy M-1 (or M-2), single channel in the 4 space mainframe. Get the optional nicer VU meter and the optional output tranny.

Back