In need of a low-cost, low-noise mixer!

nopoetic

(Sorry if this is a double post, IE had an error)

I've been searching for a good 8-12 track mixer recently, and so far the best I've seen is the Alesis MultiMix 12FX Compact 8-Channel Mixer. Its $230 at musiciansfriend.com. This is speaking from someone who can't really afford anything over $200. If someone could recommend something that will output as little noise as possible w/good phantom powered mic pre-amps I'd be very grateful. Another question is what is the best way to reduce the amount of noise via replacing cables etc.

I'm currently running a (borrowed) Behinger Eurorack UB1622FX - 12 track mixer w/phantom power pre-amps, through an E-MU Audio 0404 Sound card (2 ins/2 outs, optical in/out, MIDI in/out, S/PDIF - in/out) with Nuendo 2.0 and a ton of inboard VST effects, plus whatever came with the E-MU card and the effects built into the mixer. As for mics, I only have a Shure SM58, a crap radio-shack dynamic mic, a (borrowed) Shure PG58 and I'm ordering the AKG Perception 200 Large-dia condensor ($160) pretty soon. I just ordered a pop-filter and some new boom stands.

Any suggestions on my next purchase? I'm trying to remove as much noise as possible (if upgrading my sound card again is necessary-any recommendations?) and I need to streamline my setup. Any suggestions as to the best cables to buy for a reasonable amount of money?

Basically, if you're willing to help me, e-mail me with your response. I REALLY appreciate anyone who can give some tips. I've been recording for about 2 years but just recently upgraded to a computer set-up. So far my results are pretty good with what I'm working with. What a rant!

www.myspace.com/agentofmonaco

there are some songs I've finished up to a point.

Back