in-line recording

if you mean an in-line console as opposed to a split console....it's a recording console that that has the mic/line path and monitor path all on the same channel. For example, a larger fader down at the bottom of channel one sending signal to the recorder and the smaller fader above the larger one on the same channel monitoring the return. Split consoles have the mic/line path on one side of the board with the monitor section on another part. Split consoles used to be popular, but in order to save space in the studio, in-line was developed.
this should help: http://homerecording.about.com/library/weekly/aa090997.htm

:cool:

So with consoles like Mackies you would have to use an insert as "direct" in to monitor that channel. That seems like a cheap way to do things but I guess it comes down to economy. I've got a cheap Alesis mixer tha for an 8 channel box it blows away anything I've seen in terms of I/O. I had hoped that Mackies new consoles would be inline but unfortunately they are not. I think once you get use to inline you wouldn't want anything else.

The simplest way to think about an in line console is a console where they have taken two channels and stacked them on top of each other. So a 24 channel in line console would actually be a 48 channel board but with the second half stacked on top of the first.

This is not technically exactly correct especially since the second set of channels has some different features etc, and the rounting scheme is more involved than I have just stated, but its an easy way to warp your head around the concept.

Back