In case anyone is interested

!

It's always humbling to hear what everyone else is capable of with their MR8. At least I know that the capability it there...

Liked the song. Very moody. What all did you use for it? How long have you been doing this?

I'll have to delve into your other songs sometime today...

cellardweller,

I'll try to be brief. I use the MR8 for recording individual tracks and Ntrack on the PC to mix them. I construct a drum track using a software program which I then use on the MR8 as my 'click track' for playing other layers on. I record guitar and bass through a J-Station into the MR, usually that's multiple tracks. The keyboard in this case (a $25 find at a garage sale) is recorded to the MR8 by plugging the speaker out from the keyboard to the line-in on the recorder. I transfer my tracks, which are sometimes just bits and pieces, at various points during the recording up to my computer where I do my mixing using Ntrack. I almost never use any effects in my mix.

Some 20 years ago I had a cassette 4-track which I used to record a few things. It was much harder then without the amp-simulations and mixing software, and the limitation of 4 tracks. I started recording using the new equipment about a year ago.

If you want more details about something, let me know. Remember that I'm no expert on any of this.

DC

I also use MR8 in conjunction with Ntrack, though I rarely have time for mixing it seems (maybe it's patience I don't have?).
My monitors are definitely holding me back at this point. I have to get some new ones, but this close to Xmas has me in a holding pattern.

My first mixes sounded horribly distorted, which I think can be attributed to the PC speakers inaccurate representation of low end response.

So what do you use for monitoring? I've been thinking about getting some powered near field monitors. Someone said I could rig up(or buy) an 1/8 to two 1/4s 'Y' cable to run from my sound card out to the monitors, though most people with the $ have reference amps.

Anywho, what's your setup as far as monitors?

cellardweller,

I would not jump on blaming your monitors just yet. I learned (from this BBS, by the way) that with digital recorders you should never record too hot, or else the track will sound very distorted. You can verify if this is your case by listening to some of your tracks at low volume, if it still sounds distorted that's your problem. When I record I always make sure I check the input trim and the red led, and I check the volume bars on the LCD display to make sure that the loudest does not go past the bar. You can always adjust the track volume in Ntrack as long as it doesn't get too noisy.

What do I use for monitors? Ha! Ha! I use two sets of headphones; the more expensive pairs is a pair of Grados for about $70. After mixing using headphones I check it out on my PC speakers, which is a small bookshelf set with a subwoofer from Sony. All my equipment that I bought for the purpose of recording: MR8, J-Station, cables, headphones, drum software, Ntrack, total less than $700. And I think I get decent results from an amateur standpoint.

Hope this helps.

DC

cellar,
I use a pair of M-audio SP-5Bs. They are powered and do a great job for me. I actually use a 1/8" stereo to RCA then use a female RCA to 1/4" jack. Works fine.

Went over to mp3 forum and caught your tunage.... I liked it a lot. Nice clean guitar tone you got goin on there. What's your gear/signal chain?

bd

bd,

Long time since I've caught your name here. I havn't been around here much for the last few months, I wonder where Gospel and ClifChamb are? Any projects coming up with your daughter?

I've already described my basic setup earlier in the thread, so I won't repeat. All guitar and bass parts are just the instrument into the J-Station and then into the MR8. The main arpeggio guitar part I believe is a VOX AC30 amp-sim with a delay effect on the J-Station. The bridge clean guitars (left and right tracked separately) used the flat-top acoustic sim on the J-Station. Nothing fancy, but works for me.

Got anything new of yours we can listen to?

DC

DC,
Actually, I haven't been around much lately either.... been in the hospital and just basically recovering from pneumonia, degenerated discs in the back and neck causing numbness in my arms and hands (making it difficult to play)...the combination of which have made for a rough recovery.
I have a couple of tunes that I was working on before all that stuff hit, but unfinished as yet. One of them with Ralph Funaro (flat9), the other with my daughter.
Haven't heard from Clif or Keith in a while. I'm sure if they haven't been around, it's only a matter of time.
I did buy me a Taylor to help with the recovery though... yes it has helped! It's koa wood... man what a beautiful sound! I'll be re-tracking some of the old acoustic tracks I did with the Ovation, there's just no comparing the tone.

bd

PS..edit.... Just reading through the thread and Gospel posted right above me...also, I didn't see what guitar you're using.

BD,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you are on the road to a full recovery. I'm an old geezer too myself, so I'm having my share of creakiness.

When I did this tune I decided that I was going to just use a single guitar. The guitar I used is my G&L Limited Edition. It is a semi-hollow mahogany body Tele-shaped guitar with 3 G&L MFD single coil pickups. There were only 25 of these made for the Limited Edition, each one has a #xx of 25 designation on the neck plate. It is a great guitar. Based on suggestions from the MP3 Clinic critics I added a guitar track to the tune and posted it again. If you are so inclined, read about in the MP3 Clinic thread and give it a listen.

Taylor do make great guitars. I'm in the process of closing a deal for a decent acoustic too myself, but I won't be getting it for another couple of weeks.

DC

DC,
AHHHHH, single coil pick-ups. Don't you just love the limited edition guitar. I also have an Ovation "limited" solid body electric.... they only made 600 of them. I only wish it had single coil p/u's. The Taylor is a Limited edition too. It's stuff you pray your kids don't end up selling in a yard sale someday.

CD,
Good to be back my man, although I'm not the same, lol.

bd

"What do I use for monitors? Ha! Ha! I use two sets of headphones; the more expensive pairs is a pair of Grados for about $70. After mixing using headphones I check it out on my PC speakers, which is a small bookshelf set with a subwoofer from Sony. All my equipment that I bought for the purpose of recording: MR8, J-Station, cables, headphones, drum software, Ntrack, total less than $700. And I think I get decent results from an amateur standpoint."

This really isn't so funny. I'm always surprised when people say you can't hear what you've got without buying the most expensive dedicated monitors for home recording purposes. Why?
If you think about it, in the home you listen to music on your hifi system (at least most of us do) so your ears are atuned to how professionaly produced music should sound ON THAT SYSTEM. So if you then mix your own stuff through the same hifi you have a fighting chance of mixing at least to the aproximate balance achieved by the pro's, because your ears know how musicshould sound through that system.

If, instead of using the hifi, you switch to expensive dedicated monitors, you may find that when you play the mix through the hifi system or a boom box, or car stereo, it just doesn't sound right. Sounds great on the expensive monitors, in fact it ONLY sounds great on expensive monitors! That's not what you need to achieve IMHO, what is required is a mix that sounds good in the car, on the hifi, on the boom box and you're more likely to get that in a home environment by mixing on a system that you know how music should sound on.

Expensive monitors have a place, but I think for a person on a limited budget at home they need not be top of the list if good hifi speakers are available as an alternative.

glynb,
Monitors is a subject that gets more debate on this board probably than anything else. I agree somewhat with what you said for the most part.
I am one of those that is on a very limited budget.. especially now. But I did invest in a $300 set of monitors some time back (really not a lot of money when you're talking monitors). After mixing with the monitors and comparing what I had done before with headphones, I noticed a definite boominess to the mixes done with the headphones. That's not to say mixing with headphones is a bad thing, but I think when you purchase the headphones you need to consider the overall frequency response of the headphones.... something I had not done, and it showed up in the mix.

bd

wtf!!

LOL........I listened to "The unanswered question" LOL........
this sounds like video game music to me!! LOL.
It get's really repetitive to, and that organ or what ever that
is sounds like crap!!!!. Maybe if you recorded some vocals
it would be more interesting, instead it was friggen BORING!
It took me 45mins to download this (because I only have a dial
up connection) but sorry man, what a waste of time!!!:rolleyes:

Branded.

Back