impulses for lead work?

GreenDank

anyone have any links to a site with nice reverby impulses for metal-style lead work? I keep finding cabinet simulator impulses, but now I'd like to find a nice lush echoy/reverb sound for leads. thanks.

oh yeah! I'd been there before, but when I was searching for cabs, and totally forgot they had all those categories! yee haaaw! :D

the lexi, kurzweil, and alesis ones are very tasty for leads I'm finding!

Last edited:
Excuse my total ignorance on this, but what are these things? Are they plug-ins? I saw an "impulse" for the Lexicon PCM60, which I used to own. So I downloaded it, but I don't see it in my list of plug-ins. I'm obviously way off base as far as knowing what these things are.

Please help me. :)

Actually, these are not impulse but rather impulse responses. They are a kind of sonic signature file which can be applied to any audio file using a technique called convolution.

RAMI,

you just use one of these bad boys like a plug in: http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

then you use the open button on the interface to apply the impulse of choice (a wav file - sounds like a blip). and wala - cab and reverb sims. I don't goof with moving the sliders on the interface, I just call up whatever impulse I want and let it go.

this dude's got the motherload of cabinet impulses (cobra, mesa, etc.):
http://www.esnips.com/web/KeiffersGuitarClips

for me, it works really well because I'm recording direct these days (currently with a sansamp clone) and although it has a cab sim built in, the cab impulse really makes it sound more miked.

this guy's mesas are nice too:
ftp://sneapforum.CeltiaProductions..../Impulses/GuitarHackMesaTraditionaImpules.zip

Last edited:
Greendank and Halion....Thanx alot. I just discovered something new. I downloaded the SIR, and then loaded in a few Lexicon PCM60 patches on a drum track, and it works like a charm. This is cool.

So, for the Guitar Cab impulses that just give a blip when you open them in a Media Player, how do these work? You put them on a guitar track and it triggers a series of blips which simulate the sound of the cab/room you're looking for?

RAMI said:
Greendank and Halion....Thanx alot. I just discovered something new. I downloaded the SIR, and then loaded in a few Lexicon PCM60 patches on a drum track, and it works like a charm. This is cool.

So, for the Guitar Cab impulses that just give a blip when you open them in a Media Player, how do these work? You put them on a guitar track and it triggers a series of blips which simulate the sound of the cab/room you're looking for?

I don't know how it works (probably over my head anyway), but the cab sims behave like the reverbs you tested. you just open them up with the SIR while the guitar track is playing, and it sounds like the mic'ed cab. I guess the super dumb theory I have is that the blip has a unique curve to it in terms of reverb/room ambience (that is specific to the equipment used during the creation of the blip), which the SIR translates and applies to the guitar (or whatever) track. so, it's like the blip behaves this way, so now the guitar behaves this way. I don't know if it's doing this at a certain rate, or number of times in a period of time or whatnot.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, the wonders of convolution :) In the other thread I had mentioned that you can use any audio file as an impulse. In an oversimplified manner, convolution multiplies one wave with the characteristics of another. In that example I had stated that you could even use speech as an impulse to make a rather static and crude vocoder.

Try loading any audio sample you've got as an impulse. The results will surprise you.

noisewreck said:
Ahhhh, the wonders of convolution :) In the other thread I had mentioned that you can use any audio file as an impulse. In an oversimplified manner, convolution multiplies one wave with the characteristics of another. In that example I had stated that you could even use speech as an impulse to make a rather static and crude vocoder.

Try loading any audio sample you've got as an impulse. The results will surprise you.

thanks for the tips!!

Man, I'm having a blast whit these things....Guitars are sounding like pianos and drums are talking. I can't see myself doing anything useful just yet, but it's like a new toy. :D

Back