Improv jam session with friend Lindsie

jrhager84

expert newb
My friend Lindsie just moved back to boise, and while she was on her way to her new house, she dropped by mine to record a track and mess around. she had the guitar parts and vocals already structured, but I added drums and bass with literally 5 minutes of hearing the song, (so there ARE some small timing errors). I wanted to get a feel for the song so I'm ready when she comes back to finish. I'm mainly just asking how you guys feel about this mix. Any tips for EQing and mixing acoustic tracks would be IMMENSELY helpful! Thanks dudes,

-Joel

link: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9282

Gotta listen on headphones cause it's early...

Guitars sound pretty good. I'd prefer to hear them just miked, sounds like they're hooked into an amp or direct. They still sound good though.

Vocals sound buried, or off too far in the distance. I'd bring them up. Drums sound good.

Sounds like she can well (at least in most parts), bring the vocal track up.

Yeah, I completely agree. My mics were already on my kit from recording I was doing earlier, and we only had a couple of hours to get everything set up recorded and broken down. When she comes back I'm going to re-record drums, double mic her guitar with 2 sm81's, and re-record vocals a little hotter. Thanks for the input!

-Joel

Sounds like a pretty good start. I agree with just hearing the guitars mic'd....that should really make the tune shine. She has a nice voice...fits this tune well. It's fighting a bit with the guitar and bass in this mix, but I think you can fix that pretty easily once you get the sounds you want. I like the bass tone for this. Tame the guitar and bass a little, and the voice should sit better.

Cool song man....can't wait to hear it when you mic the guitar. :cool:

Har har. I'm married, but I'll make sure to ask the wife next time....LOL

We're gonna see when she can come over next, and we'll get stuff going. The bass is actually a sound off of my Korg Triton... I played a simple part because it was really lacking presence (bottom end). I played simple notes to beef it up a bit w/o really detracting from the song. I think it sounds pretty good. I'll retouch the rough version just to get a better perspective, and when I re-record, I'll get the new version up. Thanks for the feedback guys!

-Joel

Back