Impractical Immortality - Feverish cacophany of sound is in these days, right?

bouldersoundguy

<div><p>&nbsp;</p></div>
It's not nearly as cacophonous as I expected. It's actually quite smooth considering. In fact, I think the top end of the drum could be brighter to drive the song a little harder.

On the technical side, it's clipping almost constantly and the levels are very high. On my LUFS meter it has an integrated loudness of -8.5dBLUFS and a true peak of +1.1dB.

bouldersoundguy

<div><p>&nbsp;</p></div>
I've also got an unmastered version:
http://test.regdarandthefighters.co...ortality/ImpracticalImmortality.unmaster.flac

Is that better for the clipping, etc?

I really need to figure out my mastering chain better.

That mix isn't clipping. I took the liberty of doing a quick master of it. All I did was put a high shelf boost and some compression on it, then added limiting to get it up in volume a little. I left enough headroom so that compressing to mp3 would not cause it to clip.

View attachment Impractical Immortality master.mp3

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Mix 2 is in the OP.
Beefier bass.
More kick
More OH mics on the kit.
Minor arrangement tweaks

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Chili

Site Moderator
Gary Numan. That's who this reminds me of. I mean... you really nail that vibe. :)

I'm not hearing the kick, neither in your mixes nor BSG's remaster. It might be one of the various synth sounds or lost within the various synth sounds. I would like to feel a thump when I crank this song up. Just not getting that. Maybe I'm too old school these days. If you're going for an iso-energy across the spectrum kind of mix, I think you got it.

Sometimes I feel the distorted synths step all over the vocals, other times, it's the perfect balance. I can only imagine the amount of time you spent tweaking the mix.

I think the vocals are stellar. I remember your mixes from years back, and this is such an improvement.

99% there. Keep tweaking, dude. :)

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Thanks chili.

Yeah, I really need to figure out how to mix kicks. The kit in this one is a weird EZD extension, which probably isn't helping.

Bulls Hit

I liked this one from the get go. It has a mad kind of 80's euro punk electronic vibe about it. I agree about the missing kick. Sometimes the answer is to just dupe the kick track with a different sample and compress the bejesus out of it

jimistone

long standing member
Great tune. Nice crystal clear vocal. I would like to hear a little more edge on the guitars...make then a bit more agressive.

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Thanks, guys.

So I've been lazy and didn't bother posting updated mixes since the 2nd, but it's done now: