Importing data from Passport hard drive to Tascam 2488

Scott58

How difficult is it to import data from a Passport external drive to a Tascam 2488?
I have some live recordings that I want to edit with my Tascam 2488 and am not sure how to import the data from an external hard drive Passport to my Tascam 2488. I see there is a USB port on my 2488 but haven't done this type of thing ever.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, I'll have to import the data from the Passport hard drive to a computer and then to the 2488 in order to edit the tracks. I saw that there is import capabilities just didn't know there were limitations regarding what and how sound was imported to the 2488.

So, I'll have to import the data from the Passport hard drive to a computer and then to the 2488 in order to edit the tracks.
Most likely you could import them directly from the drive if you have them both connected to the computer at the same time.

But to be honest, this sounds like a job for a software DAW. Connect the drive to a computer, drop the files into the DAW and start mixing. Of course having a decent way to listen would help.

Okay. So connect the Passport to the computer and the computer to the 2488 and follow the import instructions in the 2488 manual. What would be the best way to listen?
Thanks for the reply.

Well, if you're putting the files into the 2488, use whatever monitoring you normally use for that once the files are transferred.

My suggestion for a software DAW means not using the 2488 at all. I sort of assumed you had monitors for your 2488, so you just need a basic audio interface to connect them to the computer.

I do have some near field monitors connected to the 2488. I was just trying to limit the connection process. My skill set with the computer and computer based recording is non-existent.

I bet at some point in the past your skill set with your 2488 was non-existent. This might be a convenient time to compare the two methods. A computer can do vastly more than the 2488.

I've done a similar thing with my AW1600. I had originally mixed them down, so I had project files with effects added, just as you would with a DAW. When connected to a computer, the drive just looks like any USB drive. It makes for easy backup and restore.

For someone wanted to work in the 2488 environment, it's easy to pull files into the recorder and add them to a project. As long as the files match for bit rate and depth, they should be compatible. Per Tascam's information, if you pull a 24 bit file into a 16 bit project, it will truncate the bottom 8 bits.

Thanks for the reply. What I actually have is live recording tracks on the hard drive that a friend recorded and I want to transfer to my 2488 keeping the drums, guitar and bass tracks but sweetening up the vocals when and where they may need it. I've never worked with a computer transferring anything from anywhere so this will be a new experience.

I've done a similar thing with my AW1600. I had originally mixed them down, so I had project files with effects added, just as you would with a DAW. When connected to a computer, the drive just looks like any USB drive. It makes for easy backup and restore.

For someone wanted to work in the 2488 environment, it's easy to pull files into the recorder and add them to a project. As long as the files match for bit rate and depth, they should be compatible. Per Tascam's information, if you pull a 24 bit file into a 16 bit project, it will truncate the bottom 8 bits.
It looks like the files from computer to 2488 are virtual tracks that only be added to something that is already recorded on the 2488. Am I reading that right?

Back