Importing Bit Rate Problem

SBax

Hi,

I am doing a project on Sonar at 44 kHz and 24 bit. My friend is using CW PA9 at 44 kHz but at 16 bit. We are using the same midi piano track as the click track to maintain timing while recording separately. I can't paste his tracks in Sonar because of the bit rate difference. I am currently converting his tracks to a wave file and then importing it. It's working, but for me to send the tracks to him I have to convert all my tracks separately to wave and then import each wave track to a new Sonar file at 16 bit and then send him the bundle. We're too far along in the song to begin again.
Is there any way to convert the bit rate while in Sonar or PA9? Or any other ideas on how to swap tracks.

Thanks.

Why not have your friend set up CW PA files as 24 bit? He should be able to do this even if his soundcard is only 16 bit.

I'm not at my DAW at present, but from memory you do this under Options -> Audio. I believe there is a setting for Project Bit Depth as well as the Soundcard Bit Depth. If he sets his project Bit Depth to 24 you should be able to work with his files.

I currently run Sonar on two systems. One has a Deta 1010 card and we record everything on that system at 24 bits. I frequently take these same files to my home system, which only has an SB Live. However, by setting my Projects Bit to 24 I am able to work on these files with no problems. The 16 bit limitation would only be for recording (i.e., I can not record at 24 bits on the SB Live).

I'm not sure these instructions are complete, but I'm pretty sure you can get to where you want by simply having your friend set his project options to 24 bits.

If you need more help, let me know.

Back