Importing audio files to Zoom L-20 ??

gomble

Hi everyone,
Thanks for having me!

So I've been recording live bands for quite a while, but now I'm trying some TRACKING for an EP, recording with my PORTABLE setup.
The thought was to record the drums first, together with the rhythm guitar DI'd & vocals both purely for guide-track purposes.
The drums are recorded to SD CARD @ 96kHz over 10 tracks and sound huge. Very happy.

My problem though;

I want to condense the drums down to 1 track, to use as a guide track, together with the other guide tracks (3 total), so I can free up all the other inputs.
And I want to continue recording through the L-20 without taking a laptop with me.
But I can't seem to import the condensed mono drum (guide) track and get it to work. I've tried a lot of 24bit formats.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

It's not really a problem, but you might have some trouble importing the audio files from your SD card to your Zoom L-20. You could try using a USB cable to connect the two devices, or you could use software like Audacity to import the files.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Have you looked at Page 72 of the L-20 manual? It can be imported from a USB drive.

You have to create the proper file folders on the drive, and place the audio files in the folder. You'll probably need to make sure that you are using the same audio format (for both bit depth and data rate). I had trouble mixing different audio formats with my R-24, It just didn't work. I had to go to 16 bit/44.1K to match what was already in the system. You can't mix them like you would do in Reaper.

It looks like you can add both mono and stereo files but they must be in WAV format. The L-20 will rename them to meet standard convention.

Have you looked at Page 72 of the L-20 manual? It can be imported from a USB drive.

You have to create the proper file folders on the drive, and place the audio files in the folder. You'll probably need to make sure that you are using the same audio format (for both bit depth and data rate). I had trouble mixing different audio formats with my R-24, It just didn't work. I had to go to 16 bit/44.1K to match what was already in the system. You can't mix them like you would do in Reaper.

It looks like you can add both mono and stereo files but they must be in WAV format. The L-20 will rename them to meet standard convention.
Thanks guys

Yeah I've tried for hours to make it work this way. Tried using Audacity too. I've tried 6 different 24bit formats, and L-20 just keeps telling me file mismatch and won't let me continue. Gonna try a different way I think.
Cheers

Here's the explanation from Zoom: According to this, you have to be at 44.1K but you can use 16 or 24 bit. It looks like a pretty straightforward process.

This seems limited. The L-20 can record @ 96kHz to an SD card but it can't import 96kHz from an SD card? Puzzling... And as an interface it can only do up to 48kHz.

Ooops... that one is for the R20. Wrong recorder.

I don't see one for the L-20, but I see one for the L-12. I don't know if this is exactly the same process.

This seems limited. The L-20 can record @ 96kHz to an SD card but it can't import 96kHz from an SD card? Puzzling... And as an interface it can only do up to 48kHz.
Yep.
I ended up consolidating the drum tracks to use as a guide track only - then imported that to a single mono track via recording it into an input via my phone headphone jack. Not what I wanted to do, but we're renting the space, so time critical!!!
We've been tracking everything to that. Works fine.
Stopped using 96kHz. If I knew you couldn't track with 96kHz I would've never used it in the first place!

I don't know if the Livetrak L-20 is restricted to 44.1k, the first video was for the R-20 which is different. The R20 appears to only record at 44.1K, in which case the import restriction makes sense.

You are setting the USB switch to Card Reader, aren't you? That's when the files are supposed to be available for import.

Back