Importing 4-trk to software Q:

thwackless

I have a Tascam US-428, and am using Cool Edit Pro 2.0. I've been learning how multi-track, make loops, etc with pretty good success- but I'm still green as a grass sprout, and am in need of finding out how to get 4 line-outs from a 4-trk recorder into CEP 2.0 via the Tascam interface. I don't think it can be done! If this is true...

What soundcard DOES do this? OR, what software app. will allow me to do this with the US-428?

Thanks,

Rog.

I guess you could get a stereo cable to hook from the 4 track to hook to the line-in on the computer, then record 2 tracks at a time into CEP by panning hard left/right on the tracks and sending them out through the stereo output on the 4 track. Repeat for the other 2 tracks. Then go back and line the 4 tracks up in CEP so they are sync'd together.

Good thought, and if we have to do that we will. But the original purpose was to get all 4 in together. Still would rather do it if possible.

Guess it depends if the 4 track has 4 direct tape outs. If it doesn, I figure it should be easy enough to record all 4 into CEP with the 428 since it can record 4 tracks at once. If the 4 track only has stereo outs then you have to do it 2 at a time...

You can just plug it into your computer via USB can't you? If this isn't what I think it is then I may have another solution. Get a 4 input soundcard, run two channels panned hard left and hard right into two channels of the sound card, then run two aux sends from your other 2 channels into the sound card. Maybe?

Is this what you have?

Yes, that's the same machine. I think one issue may be the 4 in/2 out spec. I'm getting a bit confused here, and let me straighten myself out: 4 ins means that 4 separate channels can record 4 separate tracks into the software.

2 outs means two line-outs; L and R? Or does that mean only 2 channels go out from the 428 and into the application?

In the CEP device window there is the choice of I/O for playback or record, and it's In/out A;B, or C;D. This is actually the part I'm not getting, since it doesn't look to me like 4 ins/outs are actually available at the same time. I'm hoping I can just get a real straightforward, 'lay-person's' explanation of this. Not that you guys aren't trying real hard!

I appreciate the help.

Rog.

4 line ins mean that there should be four channels of input into your computer/multitrack software, indeed. (Though how they manage that through USB is beyond me.)

2 outs means that the output from your recording software/computer is stereo... that's what goes to the monitor speakers... standard stuff.

As far as the source assignments in CEP, you should be able to make them track by track. They are probably available as two stereo pairs and and as a L or R mono channel, but I don't think any device lets you gang more than two inputs on a single track.

AlChuck said:

As far as the source assignments in CEP, you should be able to make them track by track. They are probably available as two stereo pairs and and as a L or R mono channel, but I don't think any device lets you gang more than two inputs on a single track.

Allright, that's good information! Those ins and outs are now straightened- out in my head, thank-you, Al.

And yes, I can do it track-by-track, did it last night- Eureka! Thank-you again, Al, everyone, for squeezing me through this! Something might come of it...

Rog.

Back