Imported Mixers and Alto Gear

White_Rabbit

Well, I'm planning on setting up a little studio to record my band and any other projects I come upon. I'm probably going to buy a 1010LT and possibly in the moderately distant future a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer for live stuff, or something along those lines (as well as some mics, obviously).

Anyway, I live in Australia, so it's far cheaper to get stuff like the 1010LT and Yamaha from an American store. Apart from the obvious warranty issues I would encounter should something go wrong (fingers crossed), would I run into any problems running the Yamaha mixer on Australian power just using an American to Australian standard power plug converter? Would I have to buy some form of special transformer to convert the power, assuming the mixer was specifically designed to run on American power? I'm a bit of an electrical simpleton, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, on a separate note, has anyone had much experience with Alto gear? There's a shop in town that sells pretty competatively priced Alto mixers and such, any opinions on quality?

I purchased a Alto 5 band parametric about a year ago. I used it 2 times and have not so much as powered it up since then. Seems very harsh and did not provide the kind of control I was looking for. Sometimes cheap is just cheap!

White_Rabbit said:
Also, on a separate note, has anyone had much experience with Alto gear? There's a shop in town that sells pretty competatively priced Alto mixers and such, any opinions on quality?

I don't know about their mixers, but their little 2-channel mic pre is the nastiest, noisiest "toob" thing I've heard. I would stay away.

I have a yamaha MG12/4 mixer. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it here for $179 which was slightly cheaper with the street price in the US then...

try asking around... you might find a good price for the Yamaha....

BTW, our church just upgraded our PA to Yamaha speakers and powered mixer at some great prices as well.

Back