Import ProTools?

Unfortunately, DigiDesign/Avid use a encrypted project format, so the only real way to import sessions would be to consolidate your tracks so they span the entire length of the song, then import them as .wav files into REAPER.

However, and independent developer is working on OMF support for REAPER. It's not finished yet, but it seems to be in the public beta phase right now.

Hope that helps a little!

*EDIT*
Forgot to give you the link!
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24943

I'm wrestling with this same issue right now. I did one whole session, track by track, but it was incredibly tedious. Cursing myself the whole time, "Did you really need THAT MANY guitar parts?" I eagerly anticipate a fix.

I just read somewhere that AATranslator is workng on a (or maybe it's finished..I can't remember) PT 5 to REAPER translator. If I remember right, it seemed pretty limited as far as automation goes, but could still be useful, I'm sure.

I just read somewhere that AATranslator is workng on a (or maybe it's finished..I can't remember) PT 5 to REAPER translator. If I remember right, it seemed pretty limited as far as automation goes, but could still be useful, I'm sure.

I hesitate to answer this one but it is a topic I know a fair bit about, anyway here goes...

D.bop is correct that the PT session files are encryped from PT5.1 onwards.
Both Proconvert & Digitranslator will read them but neither will convert to native Reaper RPP files. The closest you will come is that I think ProConvert writes a Samplitude EDL. Unfortunately Reaper does not correctly read a Sam EDL as far as automation goes. Reaper will only read the first entry of the gain and pan automation and use that as its track gain & track pan value.

AATranslator will write native Reaper RPP files but it is limited in that it will only read a PT5 session file. The only automation limitation is that the PT5 file doesn't hold stereo tracks so there will only be one side of the automation in the file. While we have 'duplicated' this in other daw conversions we have not done this for PT as yet. The conversion to RPP files, however, is accurate download it, try it and judge for yourself.

Please note this is not a shameless plug for AATranslator (or ProConvert or Digitranslator) but hopefully an informative answer.

Thanks for clearing that up. I really only had a chance to skim through a post on the REAPER forum about your translator (I didn't even know you were the developer until a few days ago! Great work by the way! ) which is why the automation part of my post is way off.

Now we know who to turn to for cross-DAW questions :D

Thanks again for the great information and work you've done.

Just a quick update re OMF.

We have spent a lot of time analysing & writing the omf import function for AATranslator. And here is what we have found.

OMF is totally over-rated as a format. It lacks so much functionality and nearly every daw implements there own 'standard' with Avid being the worst as far as that goes.

Don't count on one daw either containing the information you want/expect let alone hope that the receiving daw will display that same data.

Either way we are pretty close to implementation but we will still be at the mercy of what data is provided by one daw and what data can be sent to another daw.

With the exeption of omfs from Avid Media Composer which we won't import at this stage we have covered the rest pretty well - mind you there are some very 'flaky' Logic omfs out there.

AES31 is a much easier format and has a richer data capability than omf IMO but of course Avid/Digi didn't want to know about that - I guess even they wouldn't be able to charge for that functionality - LOL

Back