Imac hard drives

The Altar

I'm waiting for the iMac refresh. I've bought Logic Studio 9 and Komplete 8 but want to know what people would do with regard to hard drives. Should I just get the 1TB HDD and an external drive? If so what and would you install on each? Would I bet better off getting the internal 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD or one of those and then buying an external. I've read the OS would come on the SSD but what bits of Logic or Komplete would you put on that as well? Is it better to have the SSD and HDD inside the iMac or is there no difference to having an external one? Any help or views appreciated!

best setup for any daw:

OS, apps and plugins on boot drive
separate drive for sample libraries
another drive for audio projects

The idea is to stream audio and sample from separate drives so the os and apps and plugins can do their own thing without interrupting the audio stream.
Smooth uninterrupted flow of data is your goal.

My setup is:

iMac ----> Glyph samples drive ----> Glyph projects drive ---> Motu828mkII

(had the same setup with my previous XP laptop, too and never had a problem)

best setup for any daw:

OS, apps and plugins on boot drive
separate drive for sample libraries
another drive for audio projects

The idea is to stream audio and sample from separate drives so the os and apps and plugins can do their own thing without interrupting the audio stream.
Smooth uninterrupted flow of data is your goal.

My setup is:

iMac ----> Glyph samples drive ----> Glyph projects drive ---> Motu828mkII

(had the same setup with my previous XP laptop, too and never had a problem)

cool. so i guess that means whether or not the drives are internal or external doesn't really matter much right?

Correct.

Internal is always fastest, BUT a firewire800 chain can stream several hundred simultaneous tracks.
Unless you are producing orchestras or gazillion-dollar pro acts, it's more than you'll ever need...

Correct.

Internal is always fastest, BUT a firewire800 chain can stream several hundred simultaneous tracks.
Unless you are producing orchestras or gazillion-dollar pro acts, it's more than you'll ever need...

Ah. So then, all you really need internal is the boot drive and the library drive?
External storage drives wouldn't be much of an issue I suppose.

The cheap way to do it is to allocate a certain amount of space to your OS via partition, then set a partition your programs will run from, then set a partition for your working drive. You can use 1 really large drive, say 1TB, separate it maybe 50 Gigs for your OS, another 250-450 Gigs for apps, the rest for your working drive. Then, I'd say back it all up to an external firewire drive.

That would work for a simple home setup, quite nicely.

In the case of the OP, I'd install the OS and Recording software on that SSD (and anything else that needs speed, like video editing, photoshopping...) and throw everything else on a few partitions on that 1TB HDD. Then back up my working drive to a firewire ext. HDD. (thunderbolt if you got the money).

Ah. So then, all you really need internal is the boot drive and the library drive?
External storage drives wouldn't be much of an issue I suppose.

All you need internal is the boot drive.

Look back at my specs. My samples drive and my projects drive are both external on the same chain as my interface.

Back