ima newbie and i need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecuriouscouch

im a sr. in high school and i need some help from some of you experienced chaps.
i have a e-mu input card and a 18 input mixer, but i dont have the cash to get drum mics, if i hung a large condencer mic above my set and put another mic in the bass drum, would the condencer pick up on the bass drum to much? if i were to use 2 small condencers would that help? and should i mic my amp or use the emulated line out? thanks pleez help me start my career

thecuriouscouch said:
im a sr. in high school and i need some help from some of you experienced chaps.
i have a e-mu input card and a 18 input mixer, but i dont have the cash to get drum mics, if i hung a large condencer mic above my set and put another mic in the bass drum, would the condencer pick up on the bass drum to much? if i were to use 2 small condencers would that help? and should i mic my amp or use the emulated line out? thanks pleez help me start my career

1 or 2 condensers (2 for stereo) for overhead, plus a kick mic is a solid way to mic a kit. As for your amp, try it both ways and see what you like. The preponderance of board dwellers will recommend using a mic.

thecuriouscouch said:
The problem is not that the overhead mic would pic up the bass too much. After all you want to pick up your bass. The thing is that the overhead will not pick up the bass enough because the bass, unlike all the other drums, faces forward rather than up. That is the reason why the bass becomes the first drum that gets its own mic as you go up the scale from just having one room mic to having a separate mic on every single drum.

As you go up the scale in drum micing opinions vary but this is pretty common.

1 mic...overhead and in front pointing down at the whole kit.
2 mic...overhead and bass drum
3 mic...stereo pair overhead and bass.
4 mic...stereo pair overhead, bass, and snare.
5 mic...stereo pair overhead, bass, snare, and toms.

As to the guitar, do you LIKE the quality your amp adds to the sound? If not then use the DI box. If you like the amp then spring for a mic like the Sennheiser E609s

Sorry in advance for the lecture, but you should go to a real college and study something that might eventually lead to a career.

You'll thank yourself later.

thecuriouscouch said:
im goin to full sail you wanker, dont try and figure me out in one thread
You know shit about recording, and yet you're calling other people "a wanker"????? Way to make friends and influence people there, sparky... :rolleyes:

liik man i didnt enter this forum to get biched at, my dad went to a tec school and hess makin 100+ if i need advise on life ill goto a "i need advise in life" forum, now can we stop beying 12 yr olds and just talk about what we realy care about. sorry for calling you a wanker, its a verry commonly used thing here

Here's a "real life" lesson that will come in handy for you.......

Shut the fuck up and learn to LISTEN - especially to people who have a lot more knowledge than you.....

Don't go to Full Sail coming out thinking you've learned anything. The day you graduate from there (or any recording school) is the day you START learning. School is simply there to PREPARE you for your real education.

BTW - a diploma from a recording school means shit to studio owners... I'd rather hire a novice and train them myself than deal with some punk with a diploma and bad attitude. In any case, the starting point for both is the same - the only difference is in how much it cost each person to become a runner.

Novice out of high school learning the ropes - $0 in tuition, Full Sail grad $30K++ in tuition - both get the same starting position.....

A number of newbies have come through here stating that they are off to Full Sail. A larger number of older, wiser, and sadly poorer folk have come through here lamenting the fact that they went to Full Sail. The response of the newbies has largely been "you get what you put into it, I am going to bust my ass, I am going to be a success, etc.".

There is no shield like ignorance. Gene Wolfe, as the character Severian in The Book Of The New Sun, said "space itself is said to be bounded by it's own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."

Here is a thread where this was all beat to death before.

Here is a quote from that other thread:
wheelema said:
Please do not hobble yourself with debt or squander (if you have it) your Army education assistance. Find a Junior College with coursework in audio recording and go there, spend you savings on gear to get experience on you own. Record bands for free, provide free mastering, whatever, to get experience while you get your A.A. (if that is what you want). If you do get your A.A. (A.S.) and want, spend your money on a Bachelors degree.

I do not have knowledge about FullSail, but I do have knowledge about career schools, and I have reviewed the FullSail web site. FullSale is a better name. Going the A.A. via a J.C. may not be exciting, but neither is poverty and disappointment. FullSail is selling a dream. Buy reality.

This is the best fucking advice about this you will ever get. There are community colleges galore that offer the basics in a recording engineering/music industry program that are very adequate and at a fraction of the price. Places like Full Sale are after your money - nothing else.

couch. my opinion /2 cents. dont spend alot on recording school.
if you want to get good at this as doc sagely advised, try a community college, and maybe also time permitting try and find a friendly studio owner who would let you intern for a few hours a week and show you some of the tricks of the trade.
with the money saved. take no more than 5k and get a computer based daw going like an athlon that will do way more tracks than i and others need
often, then get the word out amongst friends/fellow muisicians and record
as many different acts as possible. when i started out i recorded everything from opera singers to rock bands. reggae, demos, just solo voice readers and everything in between. imho - theres nothing like hands on experience.
then over several years youll figure out lots of tricks and develope your own style and methods. i'm still learning. a never ending process. also there is a lot of sage advise given by lots of people on this forum. soak it all up. also there is lots of free info on the internet.
use google to search out how major selling songs were done, techniques used. read up on the old great audio engineers of the past and how they went about their work with often way less gear than some home studios have today. i revere these people. search out info on some of the old recording studios like abbey road. the record plant, and various motown studios. as a few examples. theres lots of info on the internet.
good luck, and keep your feet on the ground.
peace.

I actually have a lot of respect for Full Sail. I happen to think they crank out a lot of pretty qualified and knowlegable Guitar Center employees and fast-food workers.

chessrock said:
I actually have a lot of respect for Full Sail. I happen to think they crank out a lot of pretty qualified and knowlegable Guitar Center employees and fast-food workers.
I can just imagine there course schedule;
M/S Mic Technique And You
Mastering The Deep Fryer

this is exactly like every forum ive ever been to. it a buncha old useless computer nerds that probably still live with there mom who havent made any thing of there life and think that there advise is accualy respected, when in reality nobody fucking cares what they have to say. i want to thank the first two guys who respodned to this thread you are accualy usefull human beyings. for the rest of you useless fucks. get a fuckin life and get off of your computer for ten seconds

thecuriouscouch said:
this is exactly like every forum ive ever been to.
Yeah, that's right: it's everybody else, not you. :D:D:D
You got useful posts until you started acting like a c u n t. (Jesus, this forum is censored now - I cant even say ****.

You are such a typical ignorant fuck for your age. Don't worry about it too much though - you'll get better in a few years, after you learn a little about life. I sure pity your fucking parents in the interim, though.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something like "My father didn't know a damn thing when I was 17: I was amazed at how much he'd learned by the time I was 21."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back