I'm Ready to Mixdown and I sure could use some advice

drpez

I'm sorry, I did a search on this subject before I posted this, but it didn't yield the results I was hoping for.

Basically, I'm done with my mixes and I'm ready to mixdown, and from everything I've read, a good analog mixdown unit is better than a digital one. Now, I have a world class mastering engineer doing the mixdown, so I REALLY don't want to handicap him with my inexperience.

So my question is, how should I go about getting this mixed down in analog? Is this something they will do in mastering? If not, what unit would be best to accomplish this, and are there places that will just do a mixdown?

As you can tell, I'm fairly clueless on this process, and you guys have been tremendously helpful throughout this whole process for me. Thanks in advance.

umm...

your question is confusing.

are you saying you did the mix in a computer and saved it? and now you just need to bounce it, to give to the mastering engineer?

the only thing I could think of would be to rent a studio for 3 hours or something (one with a really big vintage console) and go in there with your mix (god willing they use the same software) and have them play it through the console, all faders at zero.

most likely you won't find this. unless you're running protools. if you can't find it, bouncing down in the box is fine. actually, bouncing in the box should be fine either way you slice it. if you really want that something "extra", either try to find a vintage console to run it through. you might also want to have them tweak it since you're already there.

I'd just leave it up to the mastering engineer if I was you. Sure there's talk of mix-down "outside the box" but people do it the other way all the time too. A good mastering job should be able to put the spin on it that you are probably looking for.

I think if you're happy with the mixes as they are "in the box" then there really isn't much of a reason to gamble on a "maybe" by going through anything additional. If the mixes seem to lack a "certain warm fuzzy something" then you can tell the M.E. and I would imagine he/she would be able to fix you up.

Of course, if it's a "big thing" to you and the mixes are really missing something, then do whatever you have to do. But if it's just "analog because someone said that it would be better" then you have to go with your gut.

You're confusing mixing and mastering.

Mixing is musically combining a multitrack of instruments down to 2 tracks. Left and Right.

Mastering is the taking of that Left and Right 2 track and preparing it for it's final medium of destination. CD, vinyl, or *gulp* MP3.

If you've mixed it already, forget about analog. It's almost pointless to transfer a completed mix to analog. You get little of the the benefits, and all the disadvantages.

Mixing directly to the analog format will provide you great benefits, but at this stage in your development as a mixer (or masterer), it's just not a worthwhile expense or hassle. This is coming from the biggest analog advocate on the net.

Mixerman

drpez said:
Basically, I'm done with my mixes and I'm ready to mixdown, and from everything I've read, a good analog mixdown unit is better than a digital one. Now, I have a world class mastering engineer doing the mixdown, so I REALLY don't want to handicap him with my inexperience.

So my question is, how should I go about getting this mixed down in analog? Is this something they will do in mastering? If not, what unit would be best to accomplish this, and are there places that will just do a mixdown?

As you can tell, I'm fairly clueless on this process, and you guys have been tremendously helpful throughout this whole process for me. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, world class mastering engineers cost some serious coin. Your questions are so basic that I'd encourage you to hire a mix engineer. There are many on this board, seek and ye shall find.

It's not that you'd be wasting your money hiring the mastering engineer with a less-than-ideal mix, I just don't think it's the best allocation of your dollars. A good master of a good mix is a better than a great master of a bad mix.

If I have misunderstood and you hired a great ME to do mix and master, never mind and don't worry about it.

Back