I'm ready for some football.

Reaching the SB and losing is NOT a knock against a QB. Montana would have loved to have reached more SBs. If you want to knock Brady for losing two SBs, then it is also fair to knock Montana for not making it to more SBs. In fact Brady has a better winning percentage in the postseason than Montana (Montana is 16-7 - 69.5%, Brady is 25-9 - 73.5%). In most cases I would frown upon attributing team success to QBs, but in this case both QBs had excellent coaches and excellent teams around them (dynasties) and so in this one particular comparison I think it's more apples to apples than most.

Montana played for two different teams, how would his Niners only stats compare?

Walsh-Montana are a better match for all time combo than Lombardi-Starr. The weak link is Starr. Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh, Brady, and Montana are on everybody's top five list, while Starr isn't on anyone's. Different times, I understand. But you'll still find Staubach, Unitas, and the like on most top ten lists, and they played in that era.

Starr worked well for Lombardi's style, as did Montana for Walsh's. But as an all time coach-qb combo, I'm afraid Lombardi-Starr fall a bit short. I'm not a SF fan, but Walsh revolutionized the game. It bacame a passing league because of him.

Begrudgingly though, I probably give Belichick-Brady the nod if for nothing more than their dominance in an era where it should next to be impossible to dominate.

Montana still gets my nod for qb however. :D

Walsh-Montana are a better match for all time combo than Lombardi-Starr. The weak link is Starr. Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh, Brady, and Montana are on everybody's top five list, while Starr isn't on anyone's. Different times, I understand. But you'll still find Staubach, Unitas, and the like on most top ten lists, and they played in that era.

Starr worked well for Lombardi's style, as did Montana for Walsh's. But as an all time coach-qb combo, I'm afraid Lombardi-Starr fall a bit short. I'm not a SF fan, but Walsh revolutionized the game. It bacame a passing league because of him.

Begrudgingly though, I probably give Belichick-Brady the nod if for nothing more than their dominance in an era where it should next to be impossible to dominate.

Five championships in eight years, so by your reasoning championships don't matter? Because then we open it up to QBs who never made it to the Super Bowl.

My example of a QB who willed his teams to a Super Bowl would be John Elway. Of course those were the ones he lost, he rode Terrell Davis to his wins.

Five championships in eight years, so by your reasoning championships don't matter? Because then we open it up to QBs who never made it to the Super Bowl.

My example of a QB who willed his teams to a Super Bowl would be John Elway. Of course those were the ones he lost, he rode Terrell Davis to his wins.

Without the championships, we wouldn't even be havng this conversation. But Starr just isn't an all time elite qb. If I'm starting a team today, I'm takng Marino, Fouts, or Tarkenton before Starr - and you know what they all have in common. :)

Keep it up and I'll add Parcells and Phil Simms to the argument. :eek:

As much as I'd love to believe the Pats dominance in this era is due to the greatness of Brady/Bellichick, I have to question if much of it is the ineptness of much of the coaching throughout the league.The quality of gameplan and in game management of Pittsburgh is the AFC championship game was terrible, and the decision making of Atlanta in the 2nd half of the SB was catastrophic.There had to be a half dozen no brainer decisions that they fucked up that could have put it away.

Without the championships, we wouldn't even be havng this conversation. But Starr just isn't an all time elite qb. If I'm starting a team today, I'm takng Marino, Fouts, or Tarkenton before Starr - and you know what they all have in common. :)

Keep it up and I'll add Parcells and Phil Simms to the argument. :eek:

Just being the devil's advocate and trying to draw out how important championships matter in regards to being the GOAT.

Because it's my contention that being the GOAT isn't a solo effort but a partnership with a coach. I think the NFL's history bears that out.
There's a good probability that had Montana stayed with the 49ers, he might well have the ring that Steve Young won. I think it was his last year in the league, so it likely would have been like Elway's or Payton's last one. In other words, good enough, but not da man.

If so, he'd be 5-0 in Superbowls.

Course, otoh, the Niners might not have even won with him. We'll never know.

It's only March and I'm legit almost done with the Redskins for the season....honestly debating whether or not to even watch them this year. Self-implosions galore.

It's only March and I'm legit almost done with the Redskins for the season....honestly debating whether or not to even watch them this year. Self-implosions galore.

I am with you. Several years ago I decided to stop buying any Redskins thing ever. I haven't really broken that. I don't know how much worse things need to get before the rest of the fanbase catches on.

Dan Snyder's fingerprints are all over this latest episode. He is the common denominator for everything stupid over the past 18 years. He is never going to sell the team. He is not going away. Maybe we should.

Go packers? lol.

I'm not too crazy about the Packers moves myself. If it weren't for having Aaron Rodgers fall into his lap, Ted Thompson would be out of a job. I give Ron Wolf a little more credit for getting Brett Favre, he traded a first round pick to the Falcons for a second round pick the was riding the bench.

I get the feeling we are only going to get one championship out of our HOF QB, much like our last HOF QB.

Could be worse. From my view the Giants look like they wanna be the Jets. :eek:

First Brandon Marshall. Now I hear they may be talking to Gino Smith. I'm sure as an Eli backup, but still. :(

And how is it even remotely possible that the Pats are among the teams with the most cap room available? C'mon. It's just not fair!

tell them to take Romo...please.
im tired of the Romo drama news. its like shit or get off the pot time. its like a farewell that goes on too long...
or a bad movie with the slow dying scene and the guy keeps waking up saying..."uuuuhhhhh an one more thing...."

its awkward and uncomfortable and a distraction, maybe the Jets will take on the 36 yr old multimillionaire with a bad shoulder and back. ah
hes had a great career, huge huge money (too much imo) and no Superbowl ring...the lovers blame everyone else on the team.

I wonder what the Dallas cap will be without Romo?

I'm not too crazy about the Packers moves myself. If it weren't for having Aaron Rodgers fall into his lap, Ted Thompson would be out of a job. I give Ron Wolf a little more credit for getting Brett Favre, he traded a first round pick to the Falcons for a second round pick the was riding the bench.

I get the feeling we are only going to get one championship out of our HOF QB, much like our last HOF QB.

Favre was great. He stayed a competitor too long maybe as he aged and threw long bomnb interceptions toward the end, but hes one of my favorites in his great days. Damn he had a missle speed arm..

Favre was great. He stayed a competitor too long maybe as he aged and threw long bomnb interceptions toward the end, but hes one of my favorites in his great days. Damn he had a missle speed arm..

He can probably still throw it harder than most NFL QBs, his problem was he always tried to win games single handed rather than play within the talents of the team. If you watch his MVP years he made crazy impossible plays routinely, in his latter years he would throw a ball twenty yards for an interception rather than run three yards for a first down.

Could be worse. From my view the Giants look like they wanna be the Jets. :eek:

First Brandon Marshall. Now I hear they may be talking to Gino Smith. I'm sure as an Eli backup, but still. :(

And how is it even remotely possible that the Pats are among the teams with the most cap room available? C'mon. It's just not fair!

A team with Marshall, Beckham, AND Manning is a scary scary thing.

As for the Pats, when you consider that Brady isn't even in the top 10 QB salaries in the league, it kind of makes sense...he's getting fourteen million next year. That's like mid-level, "we aren't confident in you enough to invest more"-type of QB pay. Ridiculous!

Back