I'm new, but help me spend my money!

echomancer

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while, but have decided to join. There's so much great info here! So, for my first question:

I currently have a credit at Guitar Center for $350, and I have NO idea what I want to spend it on! Is there something that I can afford that you just think it's silly for me bothering to record without? Thanks for the input!

Some things I've considered are maybe new monitors, a new mic or two, or some kind of hardware that I can do step sequencing and detailed editing for drum phrases (something where I can turn notes on and off while the phrase is playing)

Here is a list of my gear as it is:

RECORDER / MIXER

* Roland VS-2400CD 24 Track 24bit / 96kHz Digital Recorder w/ 40 Gigabytes of Storage and internal CD Burning
* Edirol DA24968 channel 24bit / 96kHz AD to RBus converter (also includes the RPC-1 card for allowing DA2496 or VS2400CD computer interaction)

MEDIA RECORDERS

* Sharp MD722 MiniDisc Recorder
* Yamaha 16x/12x/24x CD Recorder
* Sony MZ-N707 NetMD Minidisc Recorder

FURNITURE

* Carvin M20 Mixer Rack
* Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner

MONITORS / HEADPHONES

* Alesis M1 Active studio Monitors
* Aiwa 38mm neodynium diaphragm headphones

OUTBOARD GEAR

* Alesis Q20 Master Effects Processor
* TC Electronic G-Force Guitar Effects Processor
* dbx 386 2 channel tube mic preamp x2
* dbx DDP Digital Dynamics Processor
* Line6 POD Pro Guitar Amp Modeler

INSTRUMENTS

* Alesis QS6.1 61 Key synthesizer with 4 QCard expansions
* Alesis DMPro drum module
* Korg Triton Pro 77 Key synthesizer with MOSS, SCSI and 4 expansions
* 1997 Fender '57 Stratocaster Reissue
* 1997 Gibson Nighthawk Standard 3 pickup
* 1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard
* 1998 Martin HD-28
* 2000 Steinberger Spirit SSH with replacement EMG SA SA 89 Pickups
* 1963 Fender Jazz Bass

MICROPHONES

* Shure SM57 dynamic x2
* AKG C1000S condenser x2
* RØDE NT1 large diaphragm condenser
* RØDE NT1000 large diaphragm condenser x2

Maximizer. A lot of your gear is beyond me, but that's a really nice thing, as long as you don't mind 'hearing' it, which you will, like a Fender or Marshall or whatever.

BBE Sonic maximizer is part of the tone, for me...for that price, you can get the best, I'm sure.

Shawn
:):):)

shawn gibson said:
Maximizer. A lot of your gear is beyond me, but that's a really nice thing, as long as you don't mind 'hearing' it, which you will, like a Fender or Marshall or whatever.

BBE Sonic maximizer is part of the tone, for me...for that price, you can get the best, I'm sure.

Shawn
:):):)

My friend uses the Aphex Aural Exciter for its big bottom. Makes a big difference with his ampeg 8x10, giving the illusion that there's a 15" driver in the cab.

I use the other channel and it definitely sounds nice with acoustic guitar and clean electric guitar. Sounds like crap with distortion though, and probably unnecessary with vocals too.

Sounds like crap with distortion though, and probably unnecessary with vocals too.

I actually like it, for my Mesa on the Modern setting, about 50% gain and 50% out, with Record level at about 11:30. You have to adjust the output t make it a small percentage of your total signal though, like less to than WAY LESS than 25%.

--Remember, BBE is a processor, and you have to keep it as a small part of your signal, if someone else could please explain that...please. But the original poster knows that...

Vocals - no idea, sorry.

Shawn:):):)

I would consider 2 Oktava mc012's ($100 ea) and 2 On Stage SB96+ heavy duty boom stands ($80 ea). Upgrade your overheads and get really good booms.-Richie

Re: Re: I'm new, but help me spend my money!

Mark7 said:
Anyone else want to say it......?

(Shrug) Okay

NOOOOOOOOOO!

:D

Why is that? I've had great luck with these mics for micing acoustic guitar, some light vocal work, and then trumpet!

I thought Oktava mics weren't that great, isn't that the case?

I think the akg1000's are frowned upon. And the octavas praised.
But i'm sure you can get great results. There is a lot of gear snobbery.

I though I had posted this already...

PATCHBAY... Snakes and cables...

Everything to the patchbay and patch it all up from there.... No more plugging and unplugginh stuff.

Well, Ambi, I don't think my suggestion is based on gear snobbery. I am a big fan of "the AKG sound". I use D112 on kick, C414B-ULS on everything from toms to acoustic guitar to recorder to violin. I use D690 on snare and as a stage vocal mic, and I've used Solid Tube with some success as a main vocal mic. I'm a big fan of C2000B for toms, as overheads, and as an instrument mic. If I thought C1000S was a useful mic, I'd say so, but I don't. Because they can run on battery power, they have some applications for remote recording, and some good recordings have been made with them.
On the other hand, Oktava MC012 is one of the most versatile budget mics ever made. I judge it to be the best small diaphragm condenser on the market, until you get to the Neumann/Schoeps/Earthworks level. The new Studio Projects C-4 may well change that, but the jury hasn't heard the evidence yet.
Well, your credit is good at GC, they handle Rode, which you seem to like. Consider NT5's. I have not heard these, except on recordings, but I have heard C1000S up close and personal, and was not impressed. As always, YMMV.-Richie

Richard i didn't mean you were being a snob. I meant gear snobbery is everywhere in the world of audio recording. This world is gear snobbery. No i understand that the c1000 isn't as good as other mics and you wouldn't say that out of any sort of gear snobbishness.

I like the idea of the MC012's from Oktava because they have replaceable capsules, so, I'm not going to rule one or two out. Are these mics still made? I never found an online retailer who even had the multicapulse moodels listed. SD condensors are always useful, and this seems live a very versatile way to go.

Regarding the patchbays. The only time I ever have to unplug and replug is when I go "on location" w/ my rig. Everything is plugged in where it needs to be. Do they make XLR patchbays anway? That would be the only benefit, so I don't have to get behind the rack to use my dbx 386s.

Thanks for the great info, keep it coming!

The MC012's are available at Guitar Center (Musician's Friend online) w/ cardioid capsules and a 10 dB pad for $99, and the $65 capsule kit adds hypercardioid and omni. For matched pairs, go to The Sound Room, www.oktava.com. The price is quite a bit higher, but quality control is extreme.-Richie

richard would you recomend those for a very nice instrument stereo pair and over heads? What would you say is better? The neumann km184's and stuff from earthworks?

How much would you have to spend to take a step above the shure's?

For real comparisons of SM81 vs. Earthworks/Shoeps, you'll have to ask someone with more money than me. I personally can't tell a lot of difference the SM81's to the KM184, both of which I've auditioned, but the others exist only in my dreams.-Richie

And you'd say the sm81's are a lot better than the octava's or the marshals? Worth the price of admission?

With a pair of sm81's, a neuman tlm103, a sennheiser 411, a couple of shure sm57's and a nice multpattern LD condensor, (maybe a studio projects c3? I dunno whats a good multipattern LD in the same range as the other mics listed above?) would i be pretty set to do a wide variety of things. With an RNP and an RNC, and hopefully a Grace 101 and a single channel john hardy/great river.

Back