i'm new and i need some help

carlpony351

ok guys this is kinda long so if you can answer cool if not,thanks anyways.

ok i'm in a band and i also mix/record the songs with my band, i u se cubase sx to record and cool edit pro to mix .

now i have good mics and a good pc and mixer and i wanna make my recordings sound as professional as possible,is there any way i can do that with cool edit pro???
i mean some of the audio tracks seem to low and if i raise them they start to distort and i don't about commpression or gating or all that fancy stuff,does that need to be used???
if you know a website that easily explains al the steps to recording a song good,and how to make a guitar sound good and drums,voice,ecc i would appreciate it,i'm going to be putting some songs i mixed on my site tommorow so you guys can hear and give me an opinion and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

thanks for your time and i look foward to your responses

"i wanna make my recordings sound as professional as possible,is there any way i can do that with cool edit pro???"

Sure. If you know how to use CEP, you can get pro sounds out of it. Of course, you'll need pro gear and pro playing skills as well.

"i mean some of the audio tracks seem to low and if i raise them they start to distort and i don't about commpression or gating or all that fancy stuff,does that need to be used???"

Well, if you turn it up and it distorts, then don't turn it up so much. Alternately, learn how to compress tracks (it's not fancy, it's necessary) and then you can turn them up higher and they won't distort.

If you want Cool Edit to work for you, learn how to use it. That means going into the help features or coming here in order to learn: EQ, compression and reverb. And that's just the beginning. But those three will get you into the quadrant you want to be in.

Pony that's right, there really is no benefit to recording in cubase then mixing in cool edit, you're just creating a lot of extra steps. Cool Edit is a great program, and much easier to learn than cubase. Unless you're intending on integrating midi instruments, cool edit would probably be the easier program to get started in and is a truly great piece of software.

As far as the recording thing goes, it takes a lot of practice before you should plan on producing great sounding recordings, it is truly an art form. If you don't know how to use compression, LEARN. There are some great articles on this website written by sonusman and shailat that will help you get started and understand this process. It is fundamental to a good recording. The good thing is that you already have a great compressor at your disposal, that being cool edit pro.

Ask lots of questions, come here often- there are a lot of people here of varying levels of experience and expertise that enjoy helping others out when they can.

Lordy knows rats would still be fiddling with my portastudio if it weren't for these jackasses twisting my thought processes!!!!

well i want to know what compression is really for and is it needed for recordings??????

if you guys want to hear some of my stuff go here

http://www.carlmetal.homestead.com/MP3.html

the first to songs is the ones your looking for.

the first one (access denied) is me on guitar drums and vocals

and the other one (poppies) is my other band where i play bass in (there is no bass in that recording)

tell me what you guys think,later

oh and please call me carl

Rats is right...

....and so is dobro.

This BBS is a HUGE resourse....use the search function and learn compression techniqes.

one thing that is a usefull tool for compression is that if you are IN the band playing while recording, its kind of hard to watch the meters and play well..........at least for me.......so if you run the channels through a compressor or limiter, wether its outboard or in CEP (on each track individually) you can dial it in so your recording levels will not spike above the dreaded 0dB on the CEP meter.........which may be the source of your noise in your recordings.
Drums and bass, if mic'd, can play havic with the meters.
Which is a good thing as long as you dont go over 0 dB.

Try it.
You may find that, like me, you learm to like the sound of compression and it can be the soft warm blanket that you can wrap up in and not stain the bed.

-mike

And when you get a bit of experience setting levels well, you can use a limiter instead of a compressor, which is an even sexier way of recording. Save the compression for later on when you're mixing.

Back