i'm looking for an ibanez

i used to have a couple of different models, the rg350 and the rg 750. what are the better models (with tremolo's) priced around 700$?

Send Gorty a PM Nicole-I think he has several of the Ibanez Strat style guitars.
The Yamaha Pacifica Strats are very good as well, I've known a lot of people that use them for live performance and are very satisfied. From what I've read the Wilkinson tremolo is supposed to stay in tune better than the original Fender fulcrum style-I had one of the locking nut style tremolos and absolutely hated it-it made open chords sound dead to me, and a PITA to tune and lock in.
I have a Fernandes Strat that has an excellent feel-and I'm comparing it to the 2 Fender Strats that I also have-Fernandes was sued for their copies of Strats at the same time Ibanez was sued for their Les Paul copies.
Anyway-get out there and try them out-I'm sure you will find a winner!;)

You can't go wrong with Ibanez. Great values for your money. Not sure about Gio models, though.
I have an Ibanez Blazer Custom 550, (strat like) which is way better than a Fender Strat and 1/3 price. I bought it in 1982 and still have it. Bought a real strat and sold it. Still prefered Ibanez. I did add some Seymour Duncan pickups. The coil switch on the bridge pickup makes for a great sounding guitar, switching from single to double HB. Great for dialing in vintage strat tones, and some classic HB overdrive.

If I was looking for an Ibanez I would try to find an older s500 series Ibanez. Those are the ones that feel the best to me. I never played an RG that I liked. Personal preference maybe.

Check this one out.
I had one like this. That's a good price for a USA custom shop Ibanez.

FWIW, those "USA Custom" guitars aren't really "custom shop" Ibanez axes. I forget the exact details, but for a while in I think the early '90's you could order Ibanez guitars with a number of specs you could change - H-S-S or H-S-H or H-H, for example, with maybe a couple different finish options, nothing special. They were by and large built in Japan, but the bodies and necks and parts were shipped to Pennsylvania and they were assembled to order in the States.

They're nice guitars, but they're not true "Custom Shop" axes, so I wouldn't pay a premium over any comparable Ibanez from that era for one.

For Ibanez on the cheap, it's damned near impossible to beat a used RG-550. They're sort of the workhorse super-strat, has the Ibanez sound (whether or not you like it is a different story), play phenominally, and much like Strats they sort of beg to be modified.

The other affordable used RG I always liked was the RG520QS - mahogany body, quilted saepele (similar to maple) top, and pretty reasonable on the used market.

Anyway, anything from a 5-series or above (520, 550, 570, etc) with an Edge or LoPro Edge (but not the LoTRS) will be an awesome superstrat that's pretty affordable.

Their newer stuff isn't bad, either, but you'll pay for it...

I used to be a regular at Jemsite (Ibanez player/collector forum), still have one of the top post counts over there, and my main player is an Ibanez (an older Universe, a UV7PWH), so I know more than is really advisable about their product line, lol. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out. :yesway:

seeing the Ibanez strat comments, I forgot my model, so I looked it up .. it's a BL-550 Custom. BL = Blazer. 550 = Custom, coil tap + phase switch. 500 doesn't have them.
Nice guitar from early 80's. I have had to dress the frets about 3 times in the last 10 years. Other than that, like I said ... better than a Fender Strat :cool:

Back