I'm in trouble...

MrLip

Construction next door!!

I have no soundproofing/no iso-booth :(

I record at home on the second floor of my house. My room's approximately 5x4 meters.

About how much would it cost and how long would it take to soundproof my room?

Thanks.

MrLip said:
Construction next door!!

I have no soundproofing/no iso-booth :(

I record at home on the second floor of my house. My room's approximately 5x4 meters.

About how much would it cost and how long would it take to soundproof my room?

Thanks.

Ouch. Construction next door -- I'm envisioning power saws and hammering. That's gonna be VERY hard to get quiet enough to record.

2nd floor -- that means concrete walls are out of the question... ;)

You can get a lot of sound reduction by building a room within the room -- basically a second set of walls, floor, and ceiling which are isolated from the current ones. Its gonna be expensive and take a bit of time to finish, though.

Check out the SAE site http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html
for a ton of info from John about construction and sound reduction.

I suggest you think about scheduling the recording for nights as much as possible... of course that may put you in trouble with other neighbors, so there's no easy answer.

One thing - if you end up building a room within the room, you can design it to have good recording characteristics. Folks around here are very helpful if you give a little more info about your situation.

-lee-

Well, basically I'm just looking for an estimate.

It's not like I think that "oh there's construction next door, let's soundproof the room!" I know it's more complicated than that. I'm thinking of it more as a long-term investment, it's this construction that has motivated me to actually start researching it.

Right now I'm living in my grandparent's house which they will be moving out of in about a year, and I guess my sister and I will be inheriting the house.

Most of the rooms in the house are approx. 5x4 meters, plus/minus a meter or two. If I can afford it, I'd like to soundproof at least one of these rooms to use as a studio.

I record mostly vocals, acoustic guitars, and percussion. The rest of my music is usually done with MIDI (sound modules, samples, reason, etc.) When project budgets are low, I also mixdown at home, which I know might sound crazy to some people when I don't have a proper room, but I have managed to get decent mixes w/ my home setup.

laptoppop: what do you mean by "2nd floor -- that means concrete walls are out of the question... "??

MrLip said:
laptoppop: what do you mean by "2nd floor -- that means concrete walls are out of the question... "??

The single best way to reduce sound going in and out of an area is to use lots of MASS. In that context, concrete walls are often used as part of a solution to reduce sound transmission. The problem, of course, is that MASS is heavy -- 6" thick concrete walls just won't work on the second story of a house without a LOT of reinforcing -- it would probably be cheaper to just tear the house down and rebuild from scratch.

On the other hand, there are alternatives which work pretty darn well. Again, I encourage you to check out the construction area of the SAE site and then come back here with more questions.

For a real ROUGH ballpark, I'd guess that you could do a good job of a room within a room for something like $1000 US dollars per square meter (about 9 square feet). That would put your costs for a 20 square meter room (5x4) at around $20,000. There are solutions that would be cheaper, and other solutions that would be more expensive.

-lee-

laptoppop said:
...For a real ROUGH ballpark, I'd guess that you could do a good job of a room within a room for something like $1000 US dollars per square meter (about 9 square feet)....expensive.

-lee-
HEY!! :mad:
Don't mix units!!

:D

Blue's right. It aint cheap, in money or time.:(

$1000 per square meter?!?!?

are we talking a professional job or DIY?

and approximately how long does it usually take?

Back