im in the market for an interface

Dirtnaper2323

i graduated from mcnally smith in st paul MN. i have used ssl and tridents and c24s ect. im working on getting a start on my home studio. ive got the computer pt10 and the plugs covered, but now it is time to take a dive into the wallet and get an interface. i was thinking about the 4 channel RME? anyone used a fireface before? if so how did you like it, and or, what interfaces have you guys used out there that wont break the bank so to speak. im not looking to get an hd rig or anything...for now.

To be honest I have zero experience with the RME, so I can't really give you any useful info on that one. I know their converters are supposed to be pretty good though.

I went from my Mbox2 to the Eleven Rack. With the 11R it worked great; guitar to guitar input, mic to the mic input, and my old Roland board went through the L+R line inputs. Simple. All I had to do was change the input/output routing in Pro Tools to select my sources.

As good as the 11R is, I did add a new interface because I decided that I wanted to try mic'ing my drums instead of relying on loops. I looked at the Tascam US-1800 (now only $200), the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8 ($500), and the Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl ($500).

I went with the Presonus because not only did it have 8 XLR/combo jacks on the front, but it also includes the StudioLive series mixers "Fat CHannel". This lets you process your signals outside of the box, saving your computer some processing power. It also gives latency free headphone monitoring for singers. Nice.

The Presonus AudioBox 1818vsl
PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL | Sweetwater.com

I guess the real question is: What are you planning to record and how do you want to do it?

I hope this helps in some way. :thumbs up:

The only interface that I have consist of the component of the warp drive system of a starship that holds the dilithium crystals suspended in the drive's matter/antimatter stream, where the crystals can regulate the matter/antimatter reaction.

Your not interested in that one are you, Dirtnaper2323?

...ha

i was looking into rme becasue i have heard their convereters are really good for the price. i have used mbox 2 and a focusrite saffire pro 40 as far as smaller operation rigs. i originally was thinking about getting the baby face, but i realized that it might just be a waste of money ( aside from getting coverters asap) i think im going to wait until i have enough for the fireface 800. 4 mic pres and great converters. i figure if you have 4 good mic pres your half way to getting good drum tracks anyhow. suppose i could buy a saffire pro 40 afterwards to bring my rig up to 12 pres.

If you don´t need many channels and if you´re a guitarrist, the Eleven Rack is the one to go for. I use it for everything but drums. I also bought a external preamp because the built in one is not good at high gain settings, which you´ll need to record dynamic mics.

Back