I'm in software sampler hell!

TheChris

I can't decide what to get!

Why would anyone buy Gigastudio when Kompakt can import gigastudio files, along with alot of others?

Is it because Kompakt can't import everything in the sample? I look at the Holy Grail Piano ( http://shopteac.com/Merchant2/merch...e=SG&Product_Code=QUPGRAIL&Category_Code=SL_P )
and I wonder if Kompakt can handle all that gigastudio specific data.

Or, if all I want right now is a really good piano, why not just get the Bosendorfer Plug-in ( http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-157 )
which includes it's own version of Kompakt? And if I later want strings, get a string library with it's own Kompakt engine.

Will Kompakt even use these "plug-ins" as kontakt samples, or am I forced to use that standalone Kompakt program alonside my full version of Kompakt?

What does Gigastudio offer that Kompakt doesn't?

I feel like pulling my hair out! :)

Somebody please answer this man's questions, as it brings up some excellents points...

If not, moderator, please move it to a forum where it might be better answered :D

Ok, since no-one wants to answer, I'll answer myself. :)

I figured this much out:

Giga Pros:
- still the best direct from disk streaming engine, as the software resides very close to kernel level
- easier on resources; people have had good results on just a p3 800 with 1 gig of ram

Giga Cons:
- can only use 16 bit samples
- doesn't work well with other programs, tends to run best on a separate box by itself
- doesn't support rewire or VST
- because of limits in programming you'll need the full blown Giga 160 to use any seriously sampled intrument, like a piano.

(the above problems (except perhaps the need for the most expensive package - because why would you fix that??) will be fixed in version 3, along with the addition of some other interesting enhancements such as convolution programming (?) which will, for example, allow the playback of sympathetic string and wood resonances in a sampled piano. But version 3 has been promised for 3 years, with a big push last year and has yet to be released.... And some sample authors say that the benifit of convolution programming may be over-hyped, and people who focus on it are gear heads/fetishists that just want the absolute latest in tech, when in reality it may turn out to be barely noticeable on an originally well sampled instrument, let alone noticeable in a mix(!))

Kompact/Kontakt Pros:
- 24 bit
- true direct from disk streaming, though not as good as giga
- Kontakt has great editing facilities, kompakt is good for people who don't need to create their own instrument libraries or their own electronic sounds. Kompakt still includes velocity filters and low pass filters, which are useful for pianos among other acoustic instruments.
- Kompakt is a steal, especially considering its included sample library. If you're a student, you're laughing.

Cons:
- tough on resources especially if you have serious programs running concurrently

So, I chose Kompakt. We'll see how good Giga 3 is... if it ever gets here. Great thing is, if it's so much mind-blowing-I-gotta-have-this-or-I'll-die-of-envy-and-assorted-STDs then I'll buy it (lose the small amount I paid for kompakt) and crossgrade my Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand library to the giga 3 version.

Until then I'll bask in my 24bit I-can't-believe-it's-not-Bosendorfer bliss.

Yours,
Chris.

Keep us posted on how you like it when you get it. I am in the same hell. Just looking for a vast array of usable strings, brass, voices...dont know which sampler engine or library to get.

I will, definately.

I can tell you this much though - Kompakt has a much better library than Kontakt. I don't know how either would compare with Giga's included library though.

I'll let you know how good the included strings and other acoustics are. But of course they will not be as good as a dedicated library. I just hope they are good enough as placeholders until I have enough to buy a VSL, GOS, or the East West symphonic suites.

(I would fully recommend the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand or the Vintaudio Yamaha C7 for pianos - they are widely thought to be the best unprocessed pianos available right now. Choosing between the two just depends what sound you're after, and both Kip and Franky are great guys.)

Im not really looking for sampled pianos as I have a real one staring me down...I am definately looking the other stuff though. I use Cubase so I dont know if I need an engine or not - for instance Kompakt (Im assuming I do). This VST stuff still confuses me after tons of research.

Kompakt is designed to be used either standalone or as a VST plugin, among other formats.

I think that it depends on what version of Cubase you have - you may already have a version of Halion included. Halion is quite good, and if you can upgrade for cheap then that's what I would do. Kompakt will hold it's own against it though, as long as you don't need to create your own samples.

Halion sounds a bit brighter than Kompakt, so keep that in mind.

Do you think I could go straight to buying sound libraries? I dont think my Cubase comes with Halion - but then how would I know. I dont have version 2 if thats what Halion comes with. However - I can play VSTs that I DL from the web (the free ones listed at KVR VST) but I think those are standalone. Thanks for the help

I would choose Kompakt, hands down. Why? Because it can be used as a plugin, and there's no limit to how many plugins you can pop onto channels to increase polyphony! Gigastudio is one instance per system, period. I use Vsampler myself and when doing orchestral mockups, I've got a couple of vsampler instances: strings, brass, percussion, winds, and miscellaneous. Very useful.

I understand the polyphony will NOT have a max limit in Giga 3's most expensive version...

You won't be able to use the orchestral libraries you're going to buy unless you have a sampler. Some libraries however do run as a standalone plugin (like East West's Bosendorfer 290 plug-in). I haven't seen an orchestral library that offers this version though. And anyway, I'd rather have the native Kompakt/Kontakt samples over a standalone plug-in.

garritan personal orchestra can run by itself...kind of. Basically, it comes with a special version of kompakt that only runs GPO. Pretty nice library. I think it's the best of the cheapies (under 500). Certainly kicks the hell out of Miroslav mini and Ediro orchestral.

I'm a guitar player but...

I've had GigaLE,Giga32 and now have Kompakt.
I only use Kompakt because it's a DXI and plays nice in Sonar.It's got a lot easier interface.Since the patch came out it seems to be much easier on the CPU.
I've had no problem importing Giga files either.

The sampling functions in Giga are far better than in Kompakt,but as previously stated,it's for the pre-rolled sample crowd.

I'm very happy with Kompakt.

How do you find the included library with Kompakt Acidrock? Is it passable for a little while. I need brass and strings. I dont know if I should get GPO or Kompakt. I think if I get Kompakt - I might end up with GPO...but if I get GPO - I might decide I need Kompakt. Or maybe Ill just be happy with one or the other.

How do you find the included library with Kompakt Acidrock?
For the price,it can't be beat.When you consider what they're charging for single instruments.
I think the sounds are great,and every person who has heard it has agreed.
Keep in mind,once you get to this level of sampling,it's not just a matter of playing your keyboard to a string patch,but knowing how to use all the articulations.
Once again,I am just a guitar player.
There is a complete list of samples on the Native instruments site.

I might end up with GPO...
I need brass and strings
Well if GPO has both,that may be the way to go quality wise.Not that Kompakts are bad,they beat the hell out of my Roland JV synths patches.Kompakt does have both,though.As far as I know GPO comes with it's own playerthat can not import samples.Kompakt on the other hand can import samples including,I believe, those in GPO.

I use Kompakt and like it a lot, although I personally haven't compared it to other samplers.

What I really like is that you can supplement the included sound/instrument library, which is pretty darn good, with your own instruments created from soudfonts, wav samples, etc. that are available all over the Web, and it's not rocket science.

You can get on with making music quickly, instead of spending hours tweaking.

TheChris said:
Kompakt will hold it's own against it though, as long as you don't need to create your own samples.

What does this mean? You can't import your own samples? Or it doesn't have a built-in audio recorder that will literally "sample" the audio coming in through your soundcard? Cause I don't think Giga or Halion (or even Kontackt) can do that either... I thought all of these were essentially just sample play-back and basic editing systems.

-Chris

A new version of GigaStudio will be comming out this month. They will be alot less expensive and will have more pholyphony and will have tons of features that will blow everything away. Check it out at: www.nemesystech.com

GigaStudio has always allowed you to create and modify your own samples or any samples for that matter. It has a separate program calles GS editor which allows you to import any wav file and basically asign them you whatever key on the keyboard you want them on. You then ckick save and it converts it to Giga format, ready to play. You can do alot of things with it, it is really really advanced. You need a separate recording program though, because it doesn't have one built in. I use CoolEdit Pro. Just about any recording program will work. The new version of GigaStudio comming out this month will have a built in wav editor and recorder, which will be fantastic. The new version also has re-wire support which will basically allow you to record samples directly to any supported software tracker, ie. like Sonar. This is great because you don't have to use the old built in direct audio capture feature to capture the sounds comming out of GigaStudio to a wav file. Check the new one out and decide which sampler you want. I already pre-orderd GigaStudio 3 Solo version.

You can't beat GigaStudio. You can have HHHUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE samples. Try to do that with a plugin!

Last edited:
I currently have GigaStudio 32 and don't think it's all that bad of a sampler to run a Piano library. 32 is a little small, but it's OK. The least expensive version of GigaStudio comming out this month has 96 voices of pholyphony. Thank god they decided to put more voices, 96 voices is fine with me.

Back