I'm having a delay problem in the recording booth.....

Papanya420

I'm hearing my voice, while recording, in my headphones late or delayed with a slight echo. I have a 20 foot microphone cable and a 20 foot headphone extension cord. What do I need to do to minimize the dalay? Shorter wires? Better wires? Better Headphones?? I have an Audio Technica AT2035 microphone. I have a Presonus Faderport and a Presonus AudioBox USB. I am using Presonus's Studio One Pro. Any ideas?? I need this delay to be eliminated.

It could be that you're just simply hearing the latency. You didn't say what software your using, but you should look for an option to turn monitoring off. you're probably hearing the original signal and a slightly delayed monitor signal which is why it sounds like it has an echo.

The AudioBox has hardware monitoring so the latency shouldn't even be perceptable and as far as I know the signal coming back through the phones should be moving at close to the speed of light so 20ft or 400ft should't make a difference.

I was gonna say a 20 foot cable shouldn't cause delay. Imagine the issues with home theater in that case. My rear runs are 30 feet, for a small theater.

Tetrafish, your last few posts have really started to make this make sense, many thanks. Things are clearing up dramatically. I'm not the kind of person who likes to hook things up and start farting around. I like to get the whole deal clear in my head first. This is prolly backward to most people, but it's way it works for me.

F'rinstance: the desk I'm using was taken apart, not by me, before my move 2 years ago. I had that desk given to me, I knew what it looked like. What I had was a pile of parts and no instructions. I spent a few days studying it, then when I had it figured out put it together correctly in 1 go.

Back