I'm getting a room of my own!

gmiller1122

Addled but happy
We are going to build a detached garage this summer. The downstairs will be a 2-car area and workbench area. On the end, my wife will have a pottery and gardening studio. Upstairs, a 'hang-out room' with TV, sitting area, sleeper sofa, and maybe a small kitchenette will take up about half the space. The other half is all mine.

At the moment, I record in our home office on a desk in a corner. My current process is this: record track by track onto a Fostex VF 80 8-track, save the wav files to CD, transfer these to our PC, then use nTrack for mixing. It suits my purpose mostly. However, it does get cramped at times, and my 3 year old is always messing around with knobs and faders. :rolleyes:

What I'll have is a room about 14x14'. It won't be any less than 12 or larger than 16' square. What I want to do is just record songs on my own, one track at a time. (I have no interest in recording local bands, etc.)

I was thinking of hardwood floors with small rugs as I don't want a dead room. However, I read Ethan's articles and see that my room size is on the cusp of being too small for this to matter, so I'm not sure. I also want the layout of the room to be comfortable and easy to use, of course. According to Ethan and others here, I understand that the desk w/monitors should be against a wall, not in a corner. Also, as you can see from the image attached here, I'm considering a small vocal area or room.

Anything will be an improvement over how I work now, but I'd appreciate any input you all have on room layout, placement of sound deflectors, absorbers, etc., or even 'creativity-inducing' wall colors!

Please let me know if there's anything you're confused about with this request, and I'll try to clarify. Thanks so much for your time and input.

G

studiolayout.jpg

Exciting news! Two thoughts from looking at your plans. My understanding is it is best to avoid perfectly square rooms for studios, so if possible you might try to adjust your dimensions while you still can. Secondly, the possible closet you have drawn in might be convenient for storage, but would keep the room from being symetrical and make it harder to acoustically treat. Since you're starting from scratch, I'd recommend giving serious thought to design/size/shape before starting construction to make the most of this opportunity. Good luck!

Hey, here's an idea for you (rough drawing, not to scale). Using your allocated 14x14 space, this plan would give you a 14x10 main studio room, a 4x6 vocal booth, and two small closets. You could consider porting some extra ventilation into one of the closets and use it for your computer(s) to keep the noise out of the studio. You would enter your main studio through the vocal booth - this plan would also help reduce sound transmission between your studio and hangout room, if that's important to you.

Attachments

• idea.JPG
    idea.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 137
JeffLancaster said:
Exciting news! Two thoughts from looking at your plans. My understanding is it is best to avoid perfectly square rooms for studios, so if possible you might try to adjust your dimensions while you still can. Secondly, the possible closet you have drawn in might be convenient for storage, but would keep the room from being symetrical and make it harder to acoustically treat. Since you're starting from scratch, I'd recommend giving serious thought to design/size/shape before starting construction to make the most of this opportunity. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, esp. the one about avoiding squares -- good to know! I may be able to get a few more feet one way or the other to avoid this. I really like your idea of having the vocal room as the entrance. Clever use of space. Thanks again.

Spend a bit more than you may have planned too. Extra insulation all around, don't forget under the floor. Double layer sheet rock walls. Grounded outlets, lots of them, more than you think you will ever need. You might want to consider carpet, hardwood floors are very reflective and if you move around much they are quite noisy.
Plan and lay things out to best suit your purposes, this is your space, make it not only functional but make it something you will be proud of. The extra time you put into planning now will save you a lot of frustration later on.

+100 on the preplanning.
I'm building a small studio in almost exactly the same dimensionsas you.
I'm up to drywall right now....... we'll see how it turns out.
I disagree with the suggestion of divvying the space up though.
14 X 14 is pretty small, I'd try to keep it open and just acoustically
treat the whole space.
the other studio I've worked in is 28 X 26, w/ 6' X 6' vocal booth,
and it seems like there is not enough room for the booth sometimes.
my two cents!
C.

Hi, guys -- thanks for the insights. We met w/the architect and it seems I may actually have MORE space than 14x14 -- maybe even 20x24. Happy day. :D

Oh yeah! 20 X 24! Now you're talking about some SPACE! The difference between 14 X 14 and 20 X 24 is huge. Good luck man, and don't let your wife take any of it away from you!!! :D My moto is this: "Pick your battles. My studio is my war".

Ok, I just made that up, but it's true. I don't let my wife make decisions about my studio because now that I made a route directly from the stairs into the laundry room, there's no reason she ever has to come in here. :D Ok, I'm cracking up right now because anyone who's married knows I'm full of sh*t right now.

SonicClang said:
Oh yeah! 20 X 24! Now you're talking about some SPACE! The difference between 14 X 14 and 20 X 24 is huge. Good luck man, and don't let your wife take any of it away from you!!! :D My moto is this: "Pick your battles. My studio is my war".

Ok, I just made that up, but it's true. I don't let my wife make decisions about my studio because now that I made a route directly from the stairs into the laundry room, there's no reason she ever has to come in here. :D Ok, I'm cracking up right now because anyone who's married knows I'm full of sh*t right now.

Ha -- I hear you. :D My wife can't complain because she's getting an area for her gardening and pottery. It worked out that my space will be nicely separated from the other areas, so intrusion and kids messing around with knobs should be kept to a minimum. Would it be too adolescent of me to put a lock on the door? :D Oh, but I am putting in an intercom system so the family can buzz me if they need me. :rolleyes:

I suppose I have to learn about sound reinforcement now, huh? :confused:

G

Back