I'm getting a new freakin sound card!!! But.....HELP!!!...

Bassman

Hello to my favorite online community....

So I have commited myself to getting a new sound card... Step 1 complete... Step 2.. choose sound card... Midiman Delta 66 .... Complete... Step 3 choose location to purchase... Guitar center... Comple..... Wait..whats this....they have a special ... Delta 66 W/ Omni pre Amp mixer thingamahop ... And... its only 399... Hmmmm And I thought this was going to be easy... So now I am thinking, spend 399 and get this thing or spend ~320 without it, and search for a Mackie 1402??.. or get both??

Has anyone had experiance with this Omni pre? is it crap? It looks as if I get it, I can hold off on a mixer for a while, until I need more inputs..It has insert points for channels 1 and 2, aux send, headphone outs...

All which I can get if I buy a mixer too, but spend a heck of a lot more.....

Man I am so confused........... can anyone help???

I haven't actually played with the Delta/Omni combo, but I seriously considered it before deciding it was a little too rich for my current (nonexistent) budget. I bought the Audiophile 2496 and an Audio Buddy mic/instrument pre instead.

The Omni Studio bundle seems like a good deal for what you get. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the Delta series cards for sound quality, and at worst, you can always use an outboard mic pre, A/D, and/or mixer if the Omni front-end isn't up to snuff.

Be aware that the Omni box isn't going to do away with all your possible needs for a mixer, but it may help you defer buying a mixer for a while.

Also be aware that if you're a Power Mac G4 owner, the Delta drivers are not yet fully mature.

I have a PC so compatibility isnt a problem.... I was initially worried about the pre amps and having to run channels 1 and 2 though them all the time. I read the manual, and you can completely bypass the pre circuitry, it also has the 4 direct outs the standard BoB has. I think this is the way to go, given it has the same exact functionality as the plain 66..plus the other features that will help me avoid buying a mixer for a bit.

Still curious to the quality of the Pre's though. I have an ART Tube MP anyway....

Think I might get it this weekend....

See if the prices are the same at Muscian's Friend. If they are, go through Dashbar.com before you buy and get an additional 5%
Chuck

If you don't need a "mixer" per se, you could also spend the extra cash on a couple more preamp channels. Now life gets even more difficult :).

Back