I'm feeling nice simple useful diy for the studio

doulos24

here it is folks a quick simple good diy solution to add an extra drum mic to the studio

290-270_s.jpg

connect the left and right to a 1/4 inch cable into a direct box into a mic

preamp or go further and make a suspension system in a drum shell

FO60ME2F7YPXGTT.MEDIUM.jpg

great easy diy with good results :)

FQTP9OJF7YPXGTA.MEDIUM.jpg

even simpler wiring which is what i used

FZZW4R7F9N26P97.SMALL.gif

Last edited:
well I wasn't talking about the active D/i section but sure the author is

Aud1073cH whos that I have no idea and you don't either, but at least some will feel better his screen name was mentioned

A "DI", strictly speaking, is not required for this circuit. The output impedance of the speaker is low . . . so is its output, so I'd be tempted to use a higher ratio transformer than the 1:2 in his schematic.

Of course, when you start talking transformers for a mic that is designed to only pick up low frequencies, then you start talking about an expensive transformer. If this is just for a loud source like kick, doulos' simple wiring to XLR is best.

I don't get the point of all the switching options. Who cares? Switches add a lot of cost for not much value here. You don't need a lower impedance, so leave it at 8 ohms and take the extra signal.

Finally, I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to tie the XLR pin 1 to transformer primary, even across the cap/resistor arrangement. This box is not shielded anyway, unless we are talking about tying to a shield on the driver coil itself. If hum is a problem here, just shield the whole enclosure.

As an aside, many people have an erroneous notion that you need a large diaphragm like a speaker mic to pick up a lot of lows. That's actually very untrue; what these mics do is simply reject practically all highs above 4kHz, if not lower, and they have slow transient response to boot. You can use a regular mic and toss out highs with EQ and achieve much the same thing . . . add some saturation and get crazy with a transient designer plug if you are fastidious . . .

doulos' simple wiring to XLR is best.

i agree :D

As an aside, many people have an erroneous notion that you need a large diaphragm like a speaker mic to pick up a lot of lows. That's actually very untrue; what these mics do is simply reject practically all highs above 4kHz, if not lower, and they have slow transient response to boot. You can use a regular mic and toss out highs with EQ and achieve much the same thing . . . add some saturation and get crazy with a transient designer plug if you are fastidious . . .

this is a fun diy quick with a speaker jack and duct tape and sounds alot better then an eqed mic actully i just use my own d/i so i omit the whole circuit most pres have a 20db pad thats all you really need to use it

OK, I got too curious so I brought down a Fostex box I built for my TV and strapped them to an XLR. The resonant peak was a LOT larger than I would have guessed, and oddly it's higher than the driver resonance, and not the port tuning frequency either :confused: I dunno, I don't get too deep into speaker design.

Anyway, I will let the picture speak for itself: top right is source, bottom left is a measurement mic, bottom right is the speaker mic. The FFT is white noise through a 250mm woofer (blue = measurement mic, yellow = speaker mic; the source signal for the waves is 220Hz through the same driver.

Back