I'm bummed, my vocals suck, it must be the gear

Collectively, we could compile a long list of very challenged singers with top ten hits. At the same time we could compile a long list of absolutely gifted singers who went nowhere. Sometimes it's a matter of who they knew or didn't know, but a lot of times it's a matter of uniqueness, and the ability to emote. It's also a matter of great songwriting and being just good enough of a singer to let the song be great. Most import is being able to reach people.
I too wish I had a better voice to work with, and I work hard at it. The funny thing is, like my golf swing, if I think about it while I'm doing it it's no good. When I'm singing in front of an audience and I'm thinking about how I'm singing, not what I'm singing, I look out and see disinterest. When I get lost in the song instead, the audience knows it and goes on the trip with me. The same thing happens with recording, and you have to be careful not to erase a take that really nails it where it counts, because your listening too critically to the technical qualities of the take.

-RD

***89 - that tip sheet has alot of good points. Its a long list. You know I once saw Frank Sinatra sing a song while smoking a cigarette and he sounded like ol Blue Eyes. If I end up singing in a room where people are smoking, it chokes me up. I can hardly sing at all. My voice doesn't won't to work at all then. How is it that Frank can belt out a tune while puffing on a smoke and I gag on second hand smoke?

Tree + AG - I suppose I don't suck completely but I'm not at all happy with the result. Digital recording is brutally revealing. Those recommendations for a good vocal coach may be what I need. I don't really care if I've got the greatest voice, just a usable one. How about Willy Nelson, his voice is not a great one but it sure got character and power. Irving Berlin used write songs for Ethel Mermen based around her specific vocal. That was common in the old Hollywood and Broadway days. Maybe I could also simplify my melodys to work with my limited abilities....or I could hire a local singer who can do them the way I hear them.

I think it would be tough to get measurable improvements without a massive amount of hard work. I may talk with a local vocal teacher and see what they have to say. I just don't want to throw alot of money and time at it only to find a slight improvement. I can work on other skills if thats the case.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob's Mods said:
***89 - that tip sheet has alot of good points. Its a long list. You know I once saw Frank Sinatra sing a song while smoking a cigarette and he sounded like ol Blue Eyes. If I end up singing in a room where people are smoking, it chokes me up. I can hardly sing at all. My voice doesn't won't to work at all then. How is it that Frank can belt out a tune while puffing on a smoke and I gag on second hand smoke?

Tree + AG - I suppose I don't suck completely but I'm not at all happy with the result. Digital recording is brutally revealing. Those recommendations for a good vocal coach may be what I need. I don't really care if I've got the greatest voice, just a usable one. How about Willy Nelson, his voice is not a great one but it sure got character and power. Irving Berlin used write songs for Ethel Mermen based around her specific vocal. That was common in the old Hollywood and Broadway days. Maybe I could also simply my melodys to work with my limited abilities....or I could hire a local singer who can do them the way I hear them.

I think it would be tough to get measurable improvements without a massive amount of hard work. I may talk with a local vocal teacher and see what they have to say. I just don't want to throw alot of money and time at it only to find a slight improvement. I can work on other skills if thats the case.

Bob

its all about air and the control of it, breath deep, regulate pressure with your diaphram, when going for high notes......more pressure, more air.....don't try to squeeze the notes with your throat. I've seen many singers start turning their head and choke off a note. Push in from the gut.....that is where the power is! :D

Bob's Mods said:
I think it would be tough to get measurable improvements without a massive amount of hard work. ...

I just don't want to throw alot of money and time at it only to find a slight improvement.

Bob

My money's on the exact opposite result.

I think that if you give weekly voice lessons with an experienced voice coach with the credentials I described (and not the corner guy who sings in a band) a real chance, you'll feel and hear a difference in two, maybe three sessions. But your voice will develop over ten or twelve sessions. Your range will increase, your control will arrive and you will begin to understand what it is like to be in control of your voice instead of just hoping for a good night.

Give it three months. That's 12 lessons - 45 minutes each = $45 x 12 = $540.00.

For under six hundred bucks over the next three months you can make this issue something from your past. That's when you decide whether to continue for another year or what. But give it three months of work and practice what you learn at home. It's how it happens.

yeah i'd go on what Travis said, Dont be down on yourself. Sometimes people just have to find what type of music they are good at singing, like i love Korn, Metallica and all those heavy bands, but do u think i would try singing like them? lol hell no (i've tryed and it sucked) But then again what i thought sucked, other people was like "man that sounds really good", even though they was prolly just being good friends, everyone has diffurent taste and most likley 2 people arent going to feel the same way about one song. But sooner or later you'll find your groove in music. i believe i've found mine in Folkish/Rock type music. But good luck man.

I have a very bland voice. I can carry a tune, and sing a song that doesn't offend anyone. I can fake an operatic voice, and use vibrato. I can yodel.

However, I want my voice to be more gritty with a roughness to it. Can voice lessons help this, or is there something I can spray through my vocal cords to irritate them without doing any damage?

The only time I've liked my voice is early in the morning a couple of times when I had a cold, and a glob of snot was probably sitting in my larynx. The effect disappeared after a few minutes.

crazydoc said:
I have a very bland voice. I can carry a tune, and sing a song that doesn't offend anyone. I can fake an operatic voice, and use vibrato. I can yodel.

However, I want my voice to be more gritty with a roughness to it. Can voice lessons help this, or is there something I can spray through my vocal cords to irritate them without doing any damage?

The only time I've liked my voice is early in the morning a couple of times when I had a cold, and a glob of snot was probably sitting in my larynx. The effect disappeared after a few minutes.

Save any future snot for later use..........

crazydoc said:

THEN YOU NEED GLOB-O-SNOT! GLOB-O-SNOT is a reformulation of 3-M weatherstrip adheisive, affectionately known for years as gorilla snot. We here at SPAM AUDIO have mixed real gorilla snot with 3-M weatherstrip adheisive to create a glob of snot that hits your larnyx and sticks. GLOB-O-SNOT is guaranteed to put character in your voice and keep it there.
*not available in stores - order direct from SPAM AUDIO, cell block D, San Quintin, Ca. 95555. Send cash *

My father in laws voice was very good and he never took a lesson in his life. He could only play very basic 1st position chords on an acoustic guitar. It was his song selection and acknowledged quality vocals that captivated his friends and family. A good voice pleases the ears. My wifes voice is very good and nice to listen too. How about the difference between Roger Daultry and Pete Townsend? Pete wrote most of the songs and Roger sang them. Those were great tunes that Pete wrote but I don't think they would have had the same punch if he sang them. Pete's voice is wimpy. Sometimes your born with the equipment. Take Long John Holmes for example....

Robert,

Hey bud..you want to know a book that is really awesome to work on singing???

Jerome Hines-The Four Voices of Man. I am a professional Singer(opera/classical), and was reccomended this book when I was 14(im 28 now). Jerome Hines was a legend. He sang at the Met until the Age of 83, and you couldnt tell his age a bit..he sounded like a 30 year old man. He did Opera, Show Tunes, Ballads, everything...amazing talent. He wrote two books that really challenged the notions of what all these quack voice teachers were trying to impart to their students. He also went through a crisis (Liike you are going through, it sounds like) but quickly overcame it and became the Singer with the most Performances at the met in history. (Dont let the fact that he sang classical/opera/showtunes throw you..good technique is good technique and can be applied to any style)..his other book was called "great singers on great singing"

The notion that breathing makes it all happen is false as well. Try this:
Light a candle. Go about 3 inches from it and begin reading from a book. Watch how the candle flickers. Now, sing a verse of a lullaby or whatever...watch the flame again. Clearly speaking requires more breath than singing....there is no one answer to how to correct the problem...you obviously arent tone deaf(which is the one problem that cannot be overcome)..you just need a good technique. Find a good teacher, read that book I told you about and PRACTICE..youll be amazed at your progress.

http://www.voiceteachers.com/ <<data base of teachers..look for your area

Good luck.

teddy

BigRay - thanks for the great tips. I'm still a bit scepticle that my voice is capable of going from a "sow's ear to a silk purse" but I'd be willing to give it one more try. I'll see if I can get my hands on that book. It may well be out of print. Those are interesting points on vocal you bring up. Somewhat counter to the common wisdom regarding voice.

yeah.....Long John used to sing in the shower.

Bob

Its not out of print, Bob. It is used in a lot of colleges as a guidebook to augment the standard curriculum...It may well be that in time, it will turn into a "silk purse" ..youve never really worked with a teacher..so you have no idea what you are capable of. Youve got the desire and you arent tone deaf...so you can be taught and made much better. Ive been singing bass since age 10 :eek: and have heard some really horrible people...the ones that cant hear pitches are the hopeless ones.

Bob's Mods said:
BigRay - thanks for the great tips. I'm still a bit scepticle that my voice is capable of going from a "sow's ear to a silk purse" but I'd be willing to give it one more try. I'll see if I can get my hands on that book. It may well be out of print. Those are interesting points on vocal you bring up. Somewhat counter to the common wisdom regarding voice.

yeah.....Long John used to sing in the shower.

Bob

No, my dick is only 3.8 millimeters. Women think I am a stud when they hear me talk and see how big I am..then when we get to bed, there is a lot of laughing, sighs of dissapointment, and then that turns into wails of self loathing, of course they never want to see me after that. I dont blame them either.

crazydoc said:
So you are Long John?..and BigRay is just a descriptive pseudonym?

My advice - if you don't already do so, take up jogging/running. I really think it helped my lung control/capacity. If you can improve that, you can imporve tone, and power, and note sustain. Plus, of course, it has lots of other good health effects. If you have bad knees or something, there are lots of other good cardio options you can come up with. I like running, though, because it only requires the purchase of a decent pair of shoes.

Good advice! It has been documented that the best excercise for singing(In General) is swimming. Helps with breath stamina, good cardio workout, ..the benefits are endless. I swim three times a week.

andyhix said:
My advice - if you don't already do so, take up jogging/running. I really think it helped my lung control/capacity. If you can improve that, you can imporve tone, and power, and note sustain. Plus, of course, it has lots of other good health effects. If you have bad knees or something, there are lots of other good cardio options you can come up with. I like running, though, because it only requires the purchase of a decent pair of shoes.

:D :D And while you're at it, why not try a few voice lessons - that's what they do for people, after all.... :D :D

Merry Christmas and all that, Bro. Whatever you do, just don't give up on singing. There is always a way to make it work and it doesn't have to involve an expensive rack of blinking lights. :cool:

Back