I'm back - now I need MIDI help!

maxabillion

Ok, so I fell out of home recording for a few months etc etc. Anyway, I have some songs, song ideas and the like, and what is driving me crazy is that I want to 'produce' them with a bit more going on. Adding strings, horns, percussion, drones and the like. Of course, I don't own a wide array of orchestral instruments so I figure that is where MIDI comes in. And here's to the NOOB question:

How the hell do I get MIDI to work?

I know the basic theory behind MIDI (please don't link me to Tweakheadz - its great, but I've read it), and I think I have what I need to get started, but the few times I've tried, I get no sound, and can't figure out what I'm doing and whether its wrong or right.

here's what I have:

IMac, with an M-Audio FastTrak Ultra connected through USB into Pro Tools 9. I have a Yamaha P-105 (which I realize is a digital piano, but can't I use it as a MIDI controller?) and two MIDI cables. (also guitar stuff and mics etc, but what I'm concerned with resides on the digital spectrum.

If someone could give me a layman's explanation (or a link to one) that would give me the step-by-step guide to getting some sound to come out of my speakers I would be forever grateful. I just need to get the ball rolling, then I will learn by trial and error. So what programs do I need, where can I get them (for cheap if possible) what are my options in terms of recording MIDI "live" (I'd prefer to essentially play and record the backing tracks rather then program them in)?

Sorry for the novel - I'm stressed.

From the pictures that i seen in the net just now this piano has usb connector so connect it to usb port, and in pro tools select midi and that's it.

Yeap, just download and install some VSTi's, load them as a plug-in to the MIDI track, select a sound and go.

Midi can be a bit tough to get your head around because it was designed in the 70s by bit-level programmers.

You're going to have to get a couple of books and wade through the arcane terminology.

Like anything else, learn the basics and then you can apply it to any system of devices.
A 'cheat sheet' will only leave you knowing how to press buttons A, then B, then C but not understanding
enough to know why you did it or how to apply it elsewhere.

Midi can be a bit tough to get your head around because it was designed in the 70s by bit-level programmers.

You're going to have to get a couple of books and wade through the arcane terminology.

I have been using midi since the late 80's (atari 1040 / Creator which I still sometimes use) and even now I sometimes have to look up how to make it do what I want usually to do with effects changes or system commands.

Back in the early days of my studio I used to use midi to control scene and mutes on a mixing console, then I started drum programming, then keys, and eventually I was in a live dance music act that had midi on stage from a sequencer controlling all the keyboard settings, triggering samples, running drum loops and even turning on effects, it is actually a very powerful system when explored. This whole setup in the studio was locked to the recorders, analog in the early days and then digital.

Read and learn.

Alan.

Back