Im almost embarrased to ask...

Freak-a-zoid

** puts flame retardant suit on **

Cut me some slack fellas, im old school, tape recorder, you know, those old Tascam 4 tracks? lol

So I've had my computer about a year now

Athlon T-Bird 1 gig
512 ddr ram
40 gig 7200 HD
an old Gina 20 bit card i bought used

Bought Cubase 32 about 4 months ago, kinda spent learning it like building a model airplane, im not one to rush into things and F*ck it up, figured since my songs werent quite ready for recording I'd learn to use the program correctly and read my manual, Ive become pretty good at manuerving around it and feel pretty comfortable in using it

so heres my dumb question

What does ADAT stand for?

Ive seen several post about it, even checked out the new Alesis ADAT hard disk recorder.. Hows that work?

can you hook it up to your computer and run Cubase with it?

Do the recordings instead of saving on your pc hard drive record to the ADAT?

Does the ADAT have its own sound card? can you record directly into it?

I went back 10 days on this board to see if i could find a thread before i posted.

Anyone help an old time tape recorder out?

Thanks to anyone that can answer my question, i'll buy you a beer if your ever in Tampa florida :)

Freak-a-zoid said:

What does ADAT stand for?

Not really sure. DAT stands for Digital Audio Tape, so maybe ADAT stands for Alesis Digital Audio Tape. Don't know, doesn't really matter much.

Ive seen several post about it, even checked out the new Alesis ADAT hard disk recorder.. Hows that work?

Uses a hard disk for recording the digital audio data on, instead of tape. (among a myriad of other differences, editing capabilites etc.)

can you hook it up to your computer and run Cubase with it?

You could use it in conjuntion with your soundcard. Either sending tracks you recorded on the ADAT into Cubase for editing, mixing whatever, or syncing your ADAT and soundcard for more tracks while recording. All depends on your soundcards capability, I'm not familiar with the layla products.

Do the recordings instead of saving on your pc hard drive record to the ADAT?

Not sure if I fully understand what you mean. You could just record on ADAT, leave the material stored there and not use a computer at all. Or send the two track mix to the computer for final mastering/editing. All depends what other equipment you have and what your aim is.

Does the ADAT have its own sound card? can you record directly into it?

In a way. If you look at your typical soundcard it has an analog to digital convertor, and a digital to analog convertor. The ADAT has 8 inputs and outputs, so a ADC and DAC for each channel of I/O. But it's not a soundcard in the typical description.

Provide a bit more info as to what you want to accomplish and I'm sure someone can help you out.

The ADAT is a "drop-in" replacement for an 8 track digital HD recorder with the limitation of writing to a tape that looks like a VHS tape.

>can you hook it up to your computer and run Cubase with it?

It's an 8-track recorder, so to interface this with your computer you'll need either an ADAT interface on, say, a PCI card or perhaps a soundcard with 8 analog inputs to directly input the ADAT data. That RCA jack farm on alot of ADATs is an ugly scene.

With respect to the HD recorder, sure. That should have both analog and digital I/O that will match most soundcards with some adapter to match jack/plug type.

Here it is.......

ADAT (Alesis Digital Audio Tape) Digital tape recording system developed by Alesis, and since licensed to Fostex & Panasonic, putting 8-tracks of 16-bit, 44.1kHz digital audio on S-VHS tape.

Back