I'm about to upgrade my pc. Is this enough memory to run the PT 8 LE M-box on?

BAMA

HP Pavilion Desktop 2.80GHz, 500GB, 20"

Processor and Memory:
•AMD Athlon™ II 220 Dual-Core Processor
•2.80GHz processor speed
•NVIDIA nForce MCP61P chipset
•1MB L2 cache 4000MHz system bus
•4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x2GB) (expandable to 4GB) 2 DIMM (240-pin, DDR3) (occupied)

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
•500GB (7200RPM) SATA hard drive
•SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
•Write: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW
•Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROM

Audio, Video and Graphics:
•NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE integrated graphics
•High Definition Audio with up to 7.1 surround sound capabilities

Or should I get the

Dell Inspiron Desktop 2.7GHz, 1TB, 23" LCD

•Intel Pentium dual-core E5400 (2.7GHz, 2MB)
•8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz (4 x 2GB)

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
•1TB (7200RPM) SATA 2 hard drive
•16X DVD+/-RW drive

Audio, Video and Graphics:
•Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500
•Integrated 2.1 High Definition Audio
•Dell AX210 USB 1.2W stereo speaker :rolleyes:

I know macs are be better but I'm getting a mac laptop and I was just wondering which desktop would be better to upgrade to right now between the two.

Macs are not necessarily better.

Between those PCs, I would get the second. The 4 additional GBs of RAM (plus the fact that they're DDR3 instead of DDR2), additional 500GB of hard drive space, bigger monitor, Intel processor, etc. make it a much better option.

What's the price difference?

It also depends on what OS you are running. You need 64 bit OS to use more than 3 gigs of ram. If you are running 32 bit, anything more than 4 gigs is a waste.

Is Protools LE 64 bit ready? Digi is usually about a year behind.

The prices

The dell is $699.00 and the Hp is $599.00. I will have to check to see if my OS is 32 or 64. How do I check to find out anyway lol ?

From what I have read 64 bit is fully supported for only windows 7. The last update (8.0.4) is the last one supported for Vista/Xp/ and Leopard.

oh yea

With this new computer I'm about to get. It has windows 7 64 bit on it. Will I run into any uploading problems for the m-box le pt 8?

[edited/snipped for correction]

8.0.4 LE is fully supported in Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit).

Last edited:
You're right. I was going off of my memory that the HD 8.0.4 on Windows 7 is not supported (other than beta).. but LE is! I didn't even know that. Explains why it runs flawlessly for me.

There is one goof that one can read about at the duc.digidesign.com or whatever the URL is for the 'digi user conference'.. about PT placing recordings like 5000 samples forward in time, earlier than when they were recorded. I don't know much about it, though.

I guess it's true some people have had that issue. Digisupport said they were working on a fix so it should be good to go soon.

But as for which computer. I'd take the dell.

I'm running PT 8.04 Mpowered on Win 7 64 - no problems at all. I would also go for as much ram as you can get, I'm running 8gb.

Back