I'm a young, humble artist so I'm asking for help here. =]

Notebook.

well, alright, I sometimes write lyrics/songs by thinking of an image and building off of it.
sometimes I'll just write by immediate thought,
sometimes I'll write by emotion,
or I'll describe a situation.

and at times, my concept will be kind of "freaky" so I'll mask it through words that people can understand. Like, I had this image of a woman adoring a man that she once loved, though he's dead. I had the image of the man in the casket, and her admiring him and touching him and laying her head on his chest. and honestly, that's a really dark concept... but I want to learn how to approach those kinds of concepts and bring them into the LIGHT, you know? so that it isn't just another dark song. Could anyone help me out?

lyric writing is not a rocket science

is all about knowing the basics and putting down on paper whatever that comes to your mind, check out this site i stumbled upon when i had your similar problem it helped me a lot. i don't want to lift somebody else's work so go see it yourself.

http://www.jncmusicworld.blogspot.com/

First off, your idea doesn't sound that dark to me. Don't worry about it.

In my band we have a bunch of songs that tell stories, one of them that comes to mind is of a serial killer that kidnaps a woman and keeps her locked in a room. Another that is about a woman who has killed someone and keeps the evidence in a box beneath the floorboards in her house - and that song made it onto a local music compilation put together by a radio station here in San Diego!

It's all about how you present it. If we were a death metal band it would come across super dark; however, because we are alt/hard rock with melodic vocals and lyrics that don't smack you in the face with their meaning, it doesn't seem like it.

It's all about how you present it.

Strike the Design - The Gift

Back