I'm a total newbie, could I get a hand

ChoppinBroccoli

Hi, I want to set up my PC for home recording. I plan to record vocals, guitar, and bass (usually only 2 at a time), and edit them with Multitrack software such as Cakewalk, or Vegas. I also plan to add drumbeats from FruityLoops.

After much reading, I'm thinking about going with a Gadget Labs Wave/496 and a Presonus Blue Tube preamp for recording. For playback, I plan to just use my stereo.

Do you think this is a good way to do the whole recording thing, or should I get a mixer instead of a preamp? I plan to pay less than $500 for an audio card, and less than $300 for a preamp.

Currently, the Wave/496 vs. Delta 44, and the Blue Tube vs. Audio Buddy vs. Midiman DM2 battle is truly giving me a headache.

Ok, I've asked like a gazillion questions so I'll stop.

Any ideas?

Mixers are a lot more versatile, so if you ever wanted to do anything different you might have problems. Personally I think if you got a good mixer with clean sound you could always add your "warmth" later via digital...

Sweet thanks guys. Ok, I guess I'll get a Mackie then.

I can plug my guitar and bass right into the mixer right, and use them at the same time (not both played at the same time be me of course)? I mean, I wouldn't need a transformer or anything like that, would I?

For about $350 street price, you can pick up a Mackie 1202. A lot of folks here like the Berringer mixers, I'm just partial to the Macks. How many mics do you need active at one time? The 1202 has 4 mic pre's. If you need more than 4, that's where the berringers start to look attractive in the bang for your buck catagory. IMHO of course.

The dragon knows. A mixer will solve a lot of problems down the road. Im like track rat and have a mackie. You will not regret getting a mixer.

Duckhead

The dragon knows. A mixer will solve a lot of problems down the road. Im like track rat and have a mackie. You will not regret getting a mixer.

This is a post from another board (not by me)

before mackie redesigned the vlz series to include the xdr preamps, i'd have said the behringer would be the better choice, but now.... the mackie has the best mic pre's available for less than $50,000 i'd say-
I was at a studio last week, and they were using a 1402vlz's channel outs into the
direct in on a yamaha 02r because they like the sound better.....

Duckhead

[This message has been edited by duck (edited 07-16-2000).]

Nope. The mic pre's take care of all that. You can use the channel inserts as direct outs to record.

Back