I'm a MIDIdiot, so I could be way off.

Jon X

I've spent a couple hours today reading about Midi, and searching here for information. I think I've got an idea for what I want to do, but haven't seen specifically what I'm attempting described anywhere. See if this makes any sense to those that know far more about Midi than I.

The goal of all this: I have V-drums and want to record the Midi output of my playing into Vegas, then save that so I can go back later on at any time and edit/change the sound samples that will be triggered by the midi performance tracks.

1. First, I'll just use the TD-10 that is part of the V-drums to provide the sounds, but I'd also like to use sounds from a JV-1010 (for variety), etc, and eventually use wav file samples of whatever. I think I've got the TD-10 and JV-1010 way figured out, just have Vegas send the midi tracks to either of these external sound modules and record the audio output from the module back into my soundcard as audio when I'm ready to finish the tracks. Is this the best way to do this?

2. For the wav sample playback, I'd like to use software to load up the wav files and then have the previously recorded midi tracks use these samples as the audio. Is this even possible, and would I need something like Gigasampler or similar software? I'm using a Delta 1010 soundcard if it makes any difference.

I've never used Midi for much more than controlling a sound module via keyboard, so any advice on what I'm attempting is appreciated. Thanks.

>I have V-drums and want to record the Midi output of my playing into Vegas,

Sorry bro. Vegas doesn't support MIDI recording. All you can record is the audio output of one of your sound modules into Vegas. To save the MIDI file, you'll need some S/W like CW, but even a cheap program like Power Tracks Pro will do this. Maybe n-Track? I dunno.

> just have Vegas send the midi tracks to either of these external sound modules

Again, Vegas won't send MIDI anywhere. I've found it's better to do as you suggest: get the MIDI track edited so that it's where U want and then record it to audio. I've found there is less noise involved in multitracking via MIDI synth and recording a stereo mix from the synth stereo outout. This as opposed to recording a bunch of individual audio tracks and mixing THEM.

Cool, thanks for the info. Sucks that Vegas can't do it, but good to know it's possible.

Back