I'm a little over my head

mattfunkel

I'm recording an album for a friend and one for my own band. It all sounds great until it comes to exporting the song and then the volume of the song is much less than that of the songs in my itunes..... I have no clue how to fix this. please help if you can. thanks
-Mattfunkel

maybe you're recording at low levels? most albums get compressed to shit in mastering which makes them louder. i use some compression but I also like some dynamics too so my songs turn out a little quieter but not WAY quieter.

one thing to watch out for, if you have loud and quiet parts, itunes automatically adjusts the volume so that the loudest part is below a certain level. probably because you have dynamic changes in your song and it hasn't been mastered yet in combination with the "auto-level" feature of itunes is doing it

mastering

I'm recording an album for a friend and one for my own band. It all sounds great until it comes to exporting the song and then the volume of the song is much less than that of the songs in my itunes..... I have no clue how to fix this. please help if you can. thanks
-Mattfunkel

has the track been mastered?
(IF YOU ANSWER YES, THEN READ NO MORE)

if you are just talking about a stereo track of your mix you exported from your recording software, and you have added no effects to the master fader, then what you have is a mix ready for the mastering engineer.

if you do not have the cash to send it to be mastered, nor have any mastering gear, send me a downloadable link to the track and i will hep you out.

Back