I'm a guitar player but

I bought a Fatar Studiologic SL-990 Keyboard new for $350. Seemed like a good price. Right now I am using a GR30 guitar synth as a module and I am looking for suggestions for a good module to buy. Motif(?) is around a grand, too pricy at this time, looking for something between $300-500, new or used.

A used Roland JD-990 is one of the best used modules in terms of good sound at a cheap price. It has different filters than most of the Roland models, a little warmer. The cost is around $300. Check Ebay to see exactly what they are going for. It holds one Roland expansion board and so you can expand the sounds in the future.

Emu has a lot of cheap modules available. Proteus-series, etc.

Used Roland XV-5050. You need a computer to program it but the sounds are very good. New it sells for $800 so I'm assuming you could score a used one for less.

Or you could "do the right thing" and save for a Motif Rack ;)

Thanks. Yes the right thing, lol. This Fatar SL-990 uses one channel only, is that a concern when looking at modules? Would I be able to use a Motif to its fullest sound-wise. I'm not sure of the limitations of only one channel.

I'm not really sure. I found something online that says the SL-990 transmits on channel one. I don't know how you would access other channels when you are using a module in multi-mode. :confused: Maybe someone who owns one can say.

Ismellelephant said:
Thanks. Yes the right thing, lol.

...you mean the left thing, don't ya?...:D

...I'm taking the plunge on the v-drums in a couple weeks, the club set or whatever for $1200 or so...those the ones you have?...do you still like them?...

Yes I do

I think they're the balls for recording. Just two tracks is a big plus for the weekly dope show jam where I am using 16 tracks because of the quanity of dopes that show up. It is the club set with the TD6 module My gig band drummer has a more expensive set witht the TD8 or 10 module but to my ears, I think the club set will work for you. Are you writing out NAZI drum charts?

Re: Yes I do

Ismellelephant said:
Are you writing out NAZI drum charts?

...:D ...

...no, I thought I would compose a march a'la Stars & Stripes Forever...you wanna collab?...I'll let you play the sousaphone...

Back