I'm a contestant in a mixing contest/exhibition.

LooneyTunez

A little over a month ago I ran across another recording forum at: http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

The forum over there is a lot like this one (everything from Newbies to Pros), and I've seen a few of you over there as well.

In the "EQ Magazine Forums" section under the "Roger Nichols' Digital Recording Forum", they have a proposal for a mixing contest (http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003513)...whereas a 23 track song was sent to people to mix, and then voting would take place to win an honorary "Mammie". I was able to get myself in just in the nick of time, and now the judging is taking place.

The judging is being done anonymously, so I can't tell you which mix is mine, but I thought some of you might find it interesting to check out the various mixes (17 total), and see how much the interpretations, concepts and mixing styles vary for the same song. You would also be welcome to join the forum and place your votes if you wish.

For me this contest is more of a learning experience than anything, and it was a real challenge to mix the material. Once the voting is done, and the winner is announced, then names will be revealed. But most importantly, we will be discussing what everyone did to get the mix they got, and we'll all learn something in the process.

A direct link to the streaming MP3s is at http://eqmix.christianstudios.org/ and you will need "Flash" installed to have this work. Direct downloads of the MP3s will be available soon, and CDs can also be had from the person running this contest (Details are in the thread).

Anyway, check it out if you wish...it's turning out pretty cool, and I'm impressed with what some people have come up with.

L8R

It's a great idea, even if you subtract the contest part. Are your resources limited as to what equipment you can use? It will be interesting to hear the variations. I'll check it out after work!

There were no limitations to what could be done with the mix. It was anything goes. Some people just mixed what was given to them, others added/replaced sounds, or did some funky arrangements.

This type of contest/exhibition might be a cool thing for us to try here as well. We would just need someone to provide us with well recorded tracks of a song that is easy to listen to (nothing too out there), and have someone organize it. It's a great idea, and one hell of a learning experience, for newbies, pros and everybody in between.

Sounds like fun. I freaked out when I heard the stream. I was like "holy shit!" pardon my french :) That was one awesome mix! Then I read the part about the mix being sent to you part. Boy did I feel dumb. I usually click the link first and read the posters comments as I listen.

Anyway, good luck. I hope you get your mammie.

Cat's out of the bag!

Well, the mixes were just identified, so now I can tell you which one is mine, and give you a link to download it.

Mine is 'Track 9'. Take a listen here:

If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd like some feedback on what you think of the mix. There are a few things I would do differently in retrospect, but I can't change it now (at least not for the contest). Although I'll be playing with it some more now that I've heard mixes done by others and will be learning their secrets/techniques.

FWIW, all of this was mixed in Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3.0, with various DirectX plugins(Waves, Sonic Timeworks, Acoustic Mirror, etc). This was the first full mix I've done in a 100% software environment, and the first thing I've mixed using my new KRK V6s. So, this is all very experimental for me.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

No takers for critiquing my mix? I'm really wanting some feedback on this, and I know there is plenty to pick on, so please help a brother out with some constructive critisism. :)

Thanks for listening.

Sounded pretty good dude. Overall a great sound and good mix.

To be picky I would say:

Kick needs a little more oomph but overall the drums sound great.

Acoustic is a little too thin.

Maybe a little more compression on vocals. They sound great but get a little lost at times.

Very exellent overall.

Thanks for the input Tex,

Yeah, the vocal is actually quite compressed already, it just needs to be up in the mix a db or two. I realized a little too late that I needed to boost that up a notch.

Acoustics, were kind of tough on this. They were very thin to start with, and I struggled to make sure they didn't get boomy. I guess they could probably stand a little more bottom, and a small slice off the top.

Kick was replaced by a sampled one, and I ended up pulling some low end out of it. Maybe a bit too much.

Again, I appreciate your reply, Tex! :)

Back