I'm 18, I want to record at home. Help would be appreciated. :)

kewlwubin

Good day/evening to you all,

My band has finally reached the point where we want to record our material. I convinced my parents to allow me to set up a simple studio at home. I canvased for possible options like:

1. PC + Mixer + Software + USB Microphones
2. PC + (Very Good Sound Card) + Software + USB Microphones
3. PC + (Very Good Sound Card) + Mixer + Software + USB Microphones

We plan to practically record live and want to achieve to the nearest difference, somewhat similar on how Paul Gilbert, Dream Theater, Nuno Bettencourt, the G3 everchanging lineup, and the like would sound on a live concert. Also, we've considered how Greg Howe, Dennis Chambers and Victor Wooten sound when the record. (Whenever they record, it's always a one-take, whatever is done first stays as is. Trackless. Live.)

We're not planning to go pro YET. We're just setting up to avoid tactless record deals. (If any of you are Filipino, you should know why.) Thus, home recording.

We play a wide range of music from Neo-classical, jazz, blues, to heavy metal. We're composed to 3 guitarists, 1 bassist, 1 drummer, and a vocalist.

What I plan to do:
1. Replace my motherboard to something that will take a 3.0+ processor.
2. Double my 512 RAM.
3. Make my HD more or less 200GB.
4. Upgrading my Soundcard to one that would be fit for recording. (I've done research on some soundcards but I'm not sure what I need yet.)
3. Purchase microphones.

Here are my questions:
1. How much help would a very good soundcard do compared to a mixer? Would one be okay without the other, or would both be required?
2. What software would be good to use?
3. What type of microphones would be best? (I heard there are USB microphones being sold around, but that means I can only plug in 2.)
4. What other things would be essential for us?

Thanks for the help in Advance,

Rob of the Philippines

forget the USB mic thing for a start

whether you use a mixer or not you're still gonna need that goos soundcard

if you've researched this in full expect to pay 10 times your original estimate to buy the gear to get you a decent recording

expect to pay double what you paid for your basic recording equipment on decent monitors and room treatment so you can actualy hear what is going on in your mixes

remember, audio engineering is a SKILL with a high learning curve

best of all, get into this with your eyes wide open because once you have good enough equipment you'll want BETTER equipment and the gear lust never goes away.

After 12 years I'd describe it as throwing money into a bottomless pit.

The few mixes I have got right here in the past few years could have been tracked at multi million pound studion for a fraction of what I've spent.

Saying that I wouldn't change things for the world...it's my hobby ;)

if you ask me, if your going for a cheaper budget you would be better off getting a four or 8 track recorder. I read somewhere you can easily turn a 4 track into about 15 tracks if needed. Proboly doing cable splitting and what not. Using a 4 track would be easier for beginning recording and you can get just as decent of a recording as spending hundreds of dollars on computer stuff. You can of course bring mics into a mixer, and then into the 4 track.

While I'm unfamiliar with the most of the names you mentioned, I am pretty sure they used tracks. However, they may not go back and do overdubbing (Early Bob Dylan would be an example of "as if it were live" recordings..He refused headphones while tracking his vocals IN THE STUDIO).

But, it's safe to say that everyone uses tracks these days. Stereo is one track and mono, one...

As far as the USB mics go, if you were really going for trackless this would be redundant (from a "trackless" computer recording perspective), overly complicated, and would require unwarranted computer hardware (i.e. multiple USB controller cards).... Not to mention the cost of USB extensions and its whole slew of driver / length issues...

If you really want to go "trackless", but in stereo.... What you BASICALLY need would be

dynamic microphone(s) > mixer's mic preamplifier(s) > mixer stereo output(s) > computer line in......

and to do the basic monitoring/mixing....
computer headphone jack > headphones

As for the software... For basic stereo recordings, look up Audacity (free)...
For basic multi-tracking, should you decide to go that direction, Computer Muzys (also free) would seem like a good option....

Also, updating your computer, IN ANY WAY, may be overkill for what you want to do (trackless)... You money should be spent on good monitor speakers, a mixer, microphones (Shure is a good brand of dynamic), microphone preamps, cables, stands, and any accoustic treatments (because you better get that mix PERFECT at the mixer if you want to go "trackless")...

Hmm..... Oh yeah... This would be the type of setup where, unless you had a golden eared helper, you and your band would have to do a practice run and then adjust any settings based on playback... If you can imagine the number of times you might play that one song... Well... there goes your one-off sound....

Hopefully I've given you a few helping points.... Although my biggest piece of advice, IF YOU REALLY WANT TRACKLESS, is to experiment with cassette tape til you get good mixing skills then move to computer recording for the quality.... That way you can attain skills faster than you pocket book is deep.... :confused: Am I rambling? Lol......

In my humble opinion you will be able to go from knowing nothing about recording to the ability to record a decent demo in about 3-5 years time. Also, the way you intend to record--"live" means plenty of simultaneous channels which means: more mics, more preamps, more converters, more computer power to chew the track count. All this equals about 6-7 thousand dollars if you buy *decent* used equipment that will perform reasonably well with an okay sound.

I'm going to play devil's advocate: why not consider researching area studios and recording there?

On average you can have a demo produced for around 1500-2000 dollars these days that is going to be good sounding (depends on engineer and studio, as well as your skill as performers). Doing it yourself you may have to spend 5 years and 10 thousand dollars to get something of similar quality that you could have in 3-5 weeks from now.

Just a thought....

Ok kewlwubin. What is your budget? What kind of quality are you expecting? Do you want to multitrack(much easier)? What's your drummers kit like? Double-bass? Do you want to do the vocals live as well? I can think of a way to record all the instruments multitrack at good quality and quite inexpensively(well compared to what everyone else has suggested)if you leave vocals till last.

You could get a Presonus firepod, 2x Studio Projects B1(for overheads and vocals), 4x shure SM57(for snare and guitars), Shure Beta52(kick), and a DI box for bass. If you wanna record Trackless, then an M-audio Audiophile 2496, and a good mixer with as many XLR inputs as you need, and same mics etc cept the overheads and vocals, get SDC for overheads and a good LDC for vocals.

Yes I agree with IronFlippy too, either that or read as much as you can and ask as much as you can on this forum(that's how I have learnt)

Just in case you didn't read what lemontree said the first time DO NOT BUY A USB MIC. Maybe if you were podcasting some crap or you're 12 and simply can't afford anything to plug a mic into it would be alright but if you're looking for anything decent at all then don't look at usb mics.

pandamonk said:
You could get a Presonus firepod, 2x Studio Projects B1(for overheads and vocals), 4x shure SM57(for snare and guitars), Shure Beta52(kick), and a DI box for bass. If you wanna record Trackless, then an M-audio Audiophile 2496, and a good mixer with as many XLR inputs as you need, and same mics etc cept the overheads and vocals, get SDC for overheads and a good LDC for vocals.

If you get a firepod, you don't need a DI box.

Don't overlook the acoutics of your recording and mixing environment, it's makes a big difference.

Back