Illuminate

that acoustic guitar riff isn't very smooth. the timing of it seems off, but maybe that's what you were going for. i think the level of that acoustic in the beginning could be lowered so that when the distorted guitar comes in they have more punch. the electrics in general don't have very much punch and there are timing issues all over the place with the drummer and guitar player. Singer and bassist are pretty decent. i'm guessing you recorded the drummer live with maybe the bass and guitar, but these guys aren't a well oiled machine if you now what i mean. i think if you want to get the best out of this song i think you'd be better off recording to a click. Then you could multitrack the guitars better and get more punch out them. that or just rehearse more.

i wrote while i listened to the song.

Second listen: yeah i stick to what i wrote in the first listen.

that acoustic guitar riff isn't very smooth. the timing of it seems off, but maybe that's what you were going for. i think the level of that acoustic in the beginning could be lowered so that when the distorted guitar comes in they have more punch. the electrics in general don't have very much punch and there are timing issues all over the place with the drummer and guitar player. Singer and bassist are pretty decent. i'm guessing you recorded the drummer live with maybe the bass and guitar, but these guys aren't a well oiled machine if you now what i mean. i think if you want to get the best out of this song i think you'd be better off recording to a click. Then you could multitrack the guitars better and get more punch out them. that or just rehearse more.

i wrote while i listened to the song.

Second listen: yeah i stick to what i wrote in the first listen.

Thanks for the honest feedback. Although this was recorded several years ago, I though I would try remixing it. As I was working through it I did feel discouraged and was about to just give up on it.

This really proves that if a song is not well writen and performed, there is not much you can do in the realm of mixing. If nothing else, it just makes it more difficult. If there is one thing I learned, it is not worth the effort to go back and repolish the turds, I shall leave then in the toilet. :o

Back