IK Multimedia's XL Bundle

DM60

Just an FYI - IK is selling their XL bundle for ~$75. I purchased it and it is not a bad bundle, but it does require some effort yo get it installed.

First, it is 32 bit. If the DAW your using is 64 and no bridge built in, it will not work. Second, it has 40GB of sounds that require downloading and they are in zip packages. So each zip package requires to download, uncompress then install. You will also need to determine where you want those sounds stored. If you plan ahead and build a storage area first, then install and tell it where to store the sounds, it is much smoother. I created a folder called IK sounds and then a subfolder for each bundle. Then on install selected that area as the install location.

Put the VST dll in your VST directory or update you DAW to point towards it and you are all set. It is a very large bundle and for the money is a great bargain. The Moog VSTi is worth the price alone, but the Miroslav Philharmonik is really comprehensive as well.

One thing to note about this bundle that stumped me at first. When you bring up the VSTi, there are slots for multiple instruments and each one has a channel. At first I thought it was rather dumb, you could just change all of the channels to 1 and all of the slots work. But, it finally dawned on me that I could use the VSTi once, have other MIDI tracks point to it and select the channel for that track and control each instrument slot with one VSTi and up to 16 MIDI tracks(1-16 standard MIDI).

For $75, good value and it pretty powerful, just understand how to get it to work and it is a great addition to those wanting more instruments and a low cost.

Back