IK ARC room correction plug?

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?arc/index.php

Is it just an auto EQ plugin? I'm not sure that justifies the $700 price tag, even though it does come with a measurement mic. You can do the same thing with an SPL meter, sine tone generator, and an EQ on the master channel. You only have to do it once per room. I guess if you're on the road, you don't exactly have time to do those kinds of measurements, but I still think $700 is pretty steep. Comments?

i've seen numerous reviews around. Ethan has one on his Real Traps site. bottom line, it can almost correct things in a given space for a very small area in which it would be effective (i.e. move your head 1/2" and its gone).
eTrap is another specialized tool but useful only for certain cases.

$700 can buy a decent amount of DIY treatments.

Ah, thank you, I thought I read something somewhere about that. Naturally, it was Ethan's, errrr, Real Trap's site ;).

Someone was demoing a speaker at the Boston AES Student Summit this past fall that had such correction built in. I can't remember the name right now, but I know Audi (or BMW?) uses their speakers in their cars. I remember walking around the room and being fairly impressed by the accuracy, but it was an irregular room to start off with (not box-like), so it was hard to judge. Still, it didn't really do anything to the modal ringing, and I could tell it didn't sound like a good pair of monitors in a well treated room. There were a bunch of other cool features on it though. Damn, I wish I could remember what it was called...:confused:

car are actually easier than most other "rooms" for a simple reason: no (very little) bass is trapped! the bass leaves the vehicle and is gone... so modes in a car are mostly restricted to mid and higher frequencies where the density is high enough to smooth out the response...

JBL has a number of professional monitors with corrective circuits built in.

JBL has a number of professional monitors with corrective circuits built in.

It wasn't JBL. It was the first product of a company, and the speakers look like they have flying saucers on them. Bah, I'll remember it in about a month or so. :p

Back