iFET7

joemintz

I want to buy a high quality vocal mic for use with a high quality preamp like an Avalon M5 and I was looking at the Soundelux iFET7. I listen to a lot of bands with similar wail-ish vocal styles, i.e. Queen, Muse, Radiohead etc. Is there a better choice for the money?

joemintz said:
I want to buy a high quality vocal mic for use with a high quality preamp like an Avalon M5 and I was looking at the Soundelux iFET7. I listen to a lot of bands with similar wail-ish vocal styles, i.e. Queen, Muse, Radiohead etc. Is there a better choice for the money?

Most likely there is no "better" choice for the (roughly) $2k price. However, there are many, many choices, most of which you might find more useful or "better".

If I were you, I'd get a few mics (ifet7/E250/E49/etc) from someplace like Mercenary or Atlas with the understanding that you're going to shoot them out for a few days, and that you'll only be keeping the mic that you like best (and returning the rest).

Testing mics is definately the best way to go. However, the Ifet7 is a very versatile, well built, excellent sounding mic. Personally, I would look into a Great River preamp to add even more versatility than the Avalon will offer (which certainly is not a bad choice).

I just read the entire Gearslutz post on the Ifet7. Basically, I liked them before, and now I feel even better about buying one than I did before ( I was pretty comfortable with Soundelux before).

Back