If you're using minidisc, post a link to your music if you have one

Ray J

I'd like to hear some of the stuff being done on minidisc and how it's coming out. I'm using the Yamaha MD8 but I know it's capable of better recordings than that which I'm getting. As I get experience, the recordings are coming out a little better but, I'd like to hear what some of you guys are putting out. I'd like to hear the potential of the unit. Whether MD8 or MD4. Just put the link up whether you think it's well recorded or not.

Thanks
Ray J

http://www.mp3.com/RJohnson

Here's a link to my first recording of a band I used to play with.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/1152/1152431.html

The song I recorded is called "Havre de Grace Song". The other song listed were recorded by others. I used a DBX 266XL compressor and reverb came from a Lexicon MPX-100. Lead vocal mic is an AT 105-HE. Backing vocals were done with SM-57s. Bongos were mic'd with an SM-57. The keyboard (accordian and flute emulations) and nylon string guitar went direct.

GraveRocker - I heard the song. The recording sounds pretty good. Did you put the compressor on the whole mix, or did you just compress certain instruments, or did you do your compressing while tracking on the way in?

Thanks

Ray J

I applied compression on mixdown to CD (Sony CDRW33) in various amounts. I recorded it last September. I forget exactly what I did. I did take some notes on settings and stuff. I'll have to dig that up to see exactly what I did.

The nylon string guitar, keyboard (flute), bass, bongos were recorded at once on the first pass, the lead and two backing vocals were on the second pass and the keyboard (accordian) was third. It was a rush job done in 3 hours. The band had a gig a few days later in Havre de Grace, MD. They wanted a demo to hand out to the locals.

BTW, I listened to few of your songs and thought they sounded excellent. I was listening through cheap headphones on my computer at work. I thought the instruments stood out from one another nicely. The vocal work seemed similar to ZZ Top's stuff. Very good playing and recordings.

GR

Your tune Havre de Grace Song sounded very good for a 'rush job' as you say. Thanks for listening to my recordings. They're getting a little better but, as you work your way toward the bottom of my page the recordings get progressively worse, at least the mixing because it's some stuff I mixed when I was just starting. I need to redo those but, whose got the time?

Anyone else?

Ray J

Back