If you own or are familiar w/ Tascam 388

PlnsMstkn4Jacob

I have one, right now I'm in the process of fixing the transport section of the machine, but all the preamps work so let me explain what I am trying to do with it, and see if someone can tell me the best way or if it's even possible.

I own a firepod which has 8 inputs. What I'm trying to do is double mic each drum. So I would have a kick mic going into input 1 on the tascam, another kick mic into input 2, snare into input 3, bottom snare into input 4, hi tom input 5 and 6, lo tom input 7 and 8. Then what I'm looking to do is to buss the two kick mics together into one channel and send them to the firepod's input 1, buss the snares together and send to input 2, and then same with each tom. I'm not sure how to do this with the Tascam 388, or if it is even possible. So if someone has done this or knows how, please let me know. Thanks alot.

-Jacob

If get your task corectly... which I am not sure about.
But in general: if you want to send X amount of separate signals each to a separate input, while the signals you want to send to inputs are the results of mixing of other signals (mixed signals) (regardless of the amount of the mixed signals) you would need to have a unit (or group of units) with X amount of buses total . :D
In your case it looks like you'd need a (minimum) 4-bus mixer with available bus outputs (often called "Subgroups outputs" or "Sub(s)s Out(s)") and with minimum of 8 mixing channels individually assignable to a one of the 4 buses (Subs).
Bus is the "wire" where the signals "come together" :cool:
I don't have nor know well 388.

I have a 388 and I'm not even sure that it's possible to do what you're describing. You can buss two or more instruments to the same track on the 388, but bussing two or more instruments to the same output (unless it's the stereo outputs), I dunno.

You might be able to do it if you switch both snare channels to rmx, press the LR buttons and then pan them fully left, then do the same with the kick drum channels, but this time pan fully right. The toms could be outputted using the monitor section (again panning fully left and right).

No idea how well that'd work.

Maybe someone who knows the answer should post.

...................... :eek:

Assign Inputs 1 and 2 to PGM Buss 1, (same as Track 1 in this case).
Assign Inputs 3 and 4 to PGM Buss 2, (same as Track 2 in this case).
Assign Inputs 5 and 6 to PGM Buss 3, (same as Track 3 in this case).
Assign Inputs 7 and 8 to PGM Buss 4, (same as Track 4 in this case).

Connect the 388's PGM OUT 1 to the Firepod Input-1.
Connect the 388's PGM OUT 2 to the Firepod Input-2.
Connect the 388's PGM OUT 3 to the Firepod Input-3.
Connect the 388's PGM OUT 4 to the Firepod Input-4.

Knock yerself out.

PS: the 388's mixer section is 8-input/8-buss.

Was this a difficult question?

/DA

Hmm... That does sound like a more sensible way. I wasn't aware you could buss more than one channel to each PGM out. Though I suppose it should be possible since the PGM Buss outs are after the Buss Assigns in the signal path.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Dave :)

Cool, I tested this method out and it seems to do exactly what I wanted it to do, so thanks! Now I just have to buy a few RCA->1/4" cables it looks like.

Back