If you have $4,000 to spend on equipment..

spinrecordings

And you already had the following:

Roland VS-1824
Behringer Multicom Pro compressor/limiter
DOD 2 channel, 15 band eq
Antares AVP-1 Vocal Producer
DBX ProVocal strip
Alesis DM5 Drum module
DigiTech TSR-6 effect processor
Event PS8 monitors
Cubase VST
AudoTechnica 3035 mic
AKG D2200S
Oktava MC-012 (2)

That is as far as recording gear the rest of the stuff I have is:
Tama Rockstar drumset
Crate bass amp/head
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Marshall JCM800 cab
Yamaha EMX640 powered mixer
Rolls Headphone amplifier
Few tape decks, and other useless junk

I guess you can only help me spend my money if I tell you what my goals are :)

Well, they are obviously quality recordings, but I wan't to beable to accomodate just about anyones needs when it comes to recording.

What gear would you buy if you were me?

Please no flames on anything that I own, I know it's not the best stuff I'm just trying to make due with what I have..

Thanks for any input..

-S

edited.. typeo!

Last edited:
Alesis Masterlink
(2) Sennheiser 421
sm7
sm57
AKG D112
AT 4033
(2) RNCs
a gate/limiter
--------------- comes to ~ $2600
... and the rest on a preamp

I might actually hold off on some of the mics in exchange for a better preamp or two...

So bacially you think I need more mics (which I do).

Why the Alesis Masterlink? I can already record 10 live tracks at once and up to 16 before I bounce. How do you think that would benefit me? Maybe an adat would be better?

Anyway, the DBX vocalstrip I have is pretty decent. It was only $300 but it models 10 different tube amps, has compression, eq, de-esser, gate, chorus, flanger, delay, reverb.. (although I don't use it for effects).

I also have a good compressor in the AVP-1..

Definatly going to be picking up more mics soon..

I think you misunderstand what the Masterlink is. It is for 2 track mixdown, editing, mastering, and burning. Yeah yeah yeah I know... you already have this and that and can burn, etc. The Masterlink would sound much better.

You asked what I would do with 4k and the equipment you listed. Well, I would definitely not be using dbx strip anymore. It seems like you probably should have asked what mics you should get, but what's the point of buying 4k worth of mics if you'll be running them through that $300 strip? You have to approach your preamps with just as much consideration as your mics.

I put together that list real quick after scanning your equipment. There are a hundred other things you could put the money toward, but you're right, mics are probably your weakest link

Well, you ask this in the studio Building and Display forum, so the obvious suggestion is to spend it on improving your room(s). Having really nice mics and pres is great, but if your room sucks they're not going to live up to their potential. I would spend a big chuck of that $4000 on acoustic treatment and upgrading you're monitors. Accurately hearing what you are doing is one of the most important aspects of recording.

barefoot

http://barefootsound.com

darrin_h2000 said:
If you have enough left, get a Great River MP1NV preamp, for 950 bucks its a top notch front end.

Why would he need that when he's got the DBX Strip?

Back