If you HAD to use one dynamic mic for everything...

I would use a Shure SM57 - or a Shure SM58 - maybe an EV RE20 - Possibly the Sennheiser MD441 - then again the Shure SM7b - wait the EV RE320 - thinking Sennheiser MD421 II - could use the EV RE27 - lets not forget the SM Beta series of the Shure.

Nope can't do it!! Need all of the above - thank you very much. ;)

If I could have any mic? 441

Currently viable though, here's a zinger:
Prodipe TT1
I'll be using this and a beautifully 16-bitty X2U to do everything in July, in mono. I'll be in Thailand. Should be fun to actually put this to the test! :D

I like the i5 because there is no mid range honk the 57 is famous for. I mean that is also what makes the 57 awesome. It was primarily designed for vocals and the bump in the midrange is for vocal clarity. The i5 doesn't have this and is a bit smoother with an extended hi end. At least that's how it sounds to me. It sounds a bit "beefier" with out the bump. I usually reach for the i5 way before reaching for one of my 57s.

Easy. Sennheiser MD 441. I have many of the high end dynamics and if I had to limit myself to 1, it would be the 441 in a new york minute.

I've been thinking about this one. I think if I had to use one dynamic for everything I'd probably give up home recording and take up plumbing instead.

I've been thinking about this one. I think if I had to use one dynamic for everything I'd probably give up home recording and take up plumbing instead.

I'm in agreement. I definitely wouldn't pick an SM57 or SM58. They're too muddy sounding. Maybe a current-generation, non-phantom-powered ribbon mic with a really clean preamp.

Oh, you meant just one moving coil dynamic? Ugh. Okay, begrudgingly, a Shure 565SD. But I wouldn't like it. :)

Nah, I'd say that ribbons count as long as theyre not phantom-powered. I just didn't think to include them, since I never owned any until today.

Home recording and plumbing have a lot in common, actually. In both cases, you're often left cleaning up the $h!t. ;)

If I could have any mic? 441

Currently viable though, here's a zinger:
Prodipe TT1
I'll be using this and a beautifully 16-bitty X2U to do everything in July, in mono. I'll be in Thailand. Should be fun to actually put this to the test! :D

...as more people realize just how good the Prodipe TT1 is, demand has increased so rapidly that they're no longer available on eBay (the only US distributor)...I contacted the eBay seller, Ken (nice guy!) at Music Factory Direct...he confirmed they are currently out of stock on the Prodipe TT1 (with the on/off switch, which will be back in stock in the fall) BUT, they do have limited inventory of the TT1 PRO Ludovic (the very same mic without the on/off switch) and he said he will honor the eBay advertised price of $27.99 shipped...just call 888-368-7770 and ask for Ken and request the special pricing for the Prodipe TT1 PRO Ludivic (SKU: 904-TT1-PRO) currently showing the web price of $55....at $28 shipped, the TT1 PRO is a terrific dynamic mic rivalling mics selling for $100-200...

...from the Sound On Sound review of the TT1:
"I made some test recordings using the TT1 alongside my Telefunken M80, an ancient Shure PE65L I bought in the ’70s (which is not unlike an SM57), and a Sennheiser MD421. All three provided good intelligibility and tonal balance, so when the Prodipe TT1 produced results of a comparable quality, but a few dBs higher in level, I was pleasantly surprised. The TT1 was slightly fuller sounding at the low end than the Shure mic, and came closer to the sound of the M80 and the 421, neither of which can be described as cheap. In fact, it was an education to hear how similar all these mics were on vocals, with the main differences being in the lower-mid range. The TT1 also worked really well on electric guitar, capturing bite without edginess and plenty of lower-mid warmth. At this price, you can afford to buy one as a spare mic — and who knows, it might just become a firm favourite!" - Paul White

...for those unfamiliar with the TT1, check out the complete review here:
Prodipe TT1

Attachments

• tt1.jpg
    tt1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Granted the Sennheiser MD441 is a terrific mic and has become an industry standard, but it's an $800.00 - $900.00 microphone. For that price I would hope that it will do a lot. For that price you could purchase a few really good less expensive mics that would have varied uses and you wouldn't have to record one track at a time.

I own an older EV RE20 (and that's also an expensive mic, but about half of what an MD441 would cost) and it is also a very versatile microphone. I've used it from everything from vocals to a kick drum mic, and I think it's another good option to fit the question here.

Lately I've been using my Behringer XM8500 for scratch tracks of everything. Strange, considering I have plenty of condensers and stuff that are always up :D

Back