If You Could Choose Just 4 Mics...

I'll probably be shot for reccomending this but for male rap I use an Oktava MK-319. I use it all the time on rappers because its dark/dull sounding.

Male RnB I use the Shure ksm32 because it's brighter.

Spend the rest on somthing else unless you just have to have a "Nuemann" or "Blue" or something like that. :D

Shure SM7 (classic dynamic mic)
AT4060 (quality tube mic)
AT4047, Blue Mouse or another FET47 mic

+ a decent mic preamp
+ a decent compressor

(decent mic preamp = something good such as A Designs MP-1, Great River ME-1NV)
(decent compressor = Distressor, LA2A)

If I had $3,500 to spend, and could only choose 4 mics, I'd do the following:

First, I'd test his/her voice out on a bunch of mics ... and then I'd select what I thought to be the best and most fitting one to use in that price range.

Then, I'd pick 3 broken mics ...

Because I can't see myself using 4 different mics to track someone with. Just way too many tracks to deal with. Let's just pick a good mic and get recording -- thankyou.

chessrock said:
If I had $3,500 to spend, and could only choose 4 mics, I'd do the following:

First, I'd test his/her voice out on a bunch of mics ... and then I'd select what I thought to be the best and most fitting one to use in that price range.

Then, I'd pick 3 broken mics ...

Because I can't see myself using 4 different mics to track someone with. Just way too many tracks to deal with. Let's just pick a good mic and get recording -- thankyou.
Awesome I've been going about this whole thing all wrong :p

All I need is 1 Mic :D

Please understand some things.

#1. I currently have a Lynx Two soundcard, paired with a Liquid Channel pre, which completely broke my wallet, which is why I'm asking about mics, and nothing else.

#2. This is not for just one artist, but for many, thus why I chose to get 4 mics.

I like Oz's suggestion.

Seriously. Except I think he has too many FET 47s in there. :D I think if you have two mics that are sort of classied as being mellow or smooth in the high end (SM7 and 4060), that it's okay to go for that scooped-out pop music kinda' thing for another one -- just so you cover that ground.

Blue mics do that sort of thing well. I might even go so far as to say Studio Projects T-3 -- I like that one. Soundelux, if it's in your budget.

I also might throw in another good dynamic. I say RE-20, because it's a good safety valve ... it will work, and at least not suck, on most any voice. There you go : RE-20, SM7, AT 4060, T-3/Soundelux/Blue

chessrock said:
I like Oz's suggestion.

Seriously. Except I think he has too many FET 47s in there. :D

Sometimes, one can be one too many. :D

Shakez, given you're equipment, then I'd stick with my suggestion but I'd add one more mic (or maybe two). I'd start with the AT4060 or another quality tube mic. Then, I'd add a large diaphragm dynamic such as the Shure SM7 or maybe an Electro Voice RE20 as Chessrock suggests.

Some people think the old EV RE15 is one of the best R&B mics ever. If you can find one then you might try it. Next, I'd go with a FET mic of some kind. The FET47 designs generally get the nod. I like the Neumann U67. But, then again, you'd be getting into vintage gear again like with the RE15.

I have a love/hate relationship with old gear. When you get something good it can be heaven but then the occasional piece of crap comes through with broken parts, etc. It's not fun when that happens.

As a fourth mic, the Blue Dragonfly might be a different sort of choice. It's transformerless. It's get a complex sort of high end. It's supposed to be tuned like an old AKG C12 but I don't think there's anything else like it out there by anyone.

The othe addition I might make is simply an SM58. Some people like handheld.

Back