if you could build your own super audio computer...

earworm

what would it be?

this year i'm going to build a new killer machine that will serve as DAW,
i'm also doing more and more video editing and i want it to last a few years so it'll have to be something decent :D

i know i want an Antek case, right now i have the Black Quiet Edition and love it, but in my new machine i want a fanless powersupply and watercooling on cpu and HD.

Harddrives will be in raid but i don't know if its best to go for two 320Gig or two 160Gig disks,,,, since larger disks are slower and there's a bigger risk of loosing more data. Will i notice a difference in performance between the two options?

Ram, i'm into Kingston, want at least 2 gig, whats thé fastest Ram configuration you can get these days? 2times 1GB in Dual channel...but at what speeds...

I definately work with two monitors, can't live without, i'm pleased with my matrox G550 but i wonder, will a real "heavy" graphix card improve performance of my pc and audio/video editing? Does more ram on the graphics card give more hardware accelleration?

thats it for now, and i'm curious, what are you guys dreaming of at night?

If its for video editing, a dual quad xeon with 2 terrabytes of storage in 2 raid0 configurations for capture and render (using 500GB disks), 4 GB of ram, Quadro FX 5600 video card. RME HDSP96/52 with Apogee AD16x and DA16x.

Agreed. Apple has already built my dream machine, which I bought recently! Mac Pro 2.66, a fantastic computer for audio and video.

I would go Core 2 QX6700 quad core (@3.66ghz), dual 8800gtx video in sli oc'd to 1000/2000, 4gb of ddr2 OCZ Reaper's oc'd to 1333mhz with 2 150gb raptors & 2 500gb seagate sataII drives running RAID 0 on a Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 mobo, all chips liquid cooled using their own setup, 1 blueray r/rw drive, 18x dvdrw, & a OCZ 1000w ps to run the whole thing. All in a nice cool case and I'll be great. For sound.... I'll take a few 192's.

kick ass,

why the gigabyte motherboard, whats so special about it?

and does windows recognise more than 3GiG of ram?

yea any g5 will surfice, get enough ram and buy up some UAD DSP cards, maybe a TC electronics card. I mean damn if you have the money a Lexicon PCM 70 or two and a TC 6000 as well.

By video editing Im taking it that you use final cut ? Any g5 will be good for renderng power. At work they are still using os9 g4's for post production video editing using the Avids... There were too many problems with os10 but now that the intel g5's are out they are in the process of getting the buggs out... But looks like it will be good.

earworm said:
kick ass,

why the gigabyte motherboard, whats so special about it?

and does windows recognise more than 3GiG of ram?

Well really I don't need anything like dual quad Xeons or anything.... but anyways, I've always liked gigabyte boards, good customer service etc... Never failed on me... That board has the 1333mhz FSB & memory ddr2 1200mhz capability.

Windows XP Pro can take up to 4gb.

Yea the only thing with the octo's is that the software needs to be able to utilize it, but damn Id like one. Id love the 16gb's or ram tooo.....

Id get an AMD 400 O/C it to at least 450, 2 - 8gig Hard Drives, 1 for OS and the other for storage. Top it off with a Voodoo II video card. Then just run my desktop Camera mic through the input on my Soundblaster audio card..

128k of memory..since 98 only recognizes 128. Rock on--250 watts of power supplyin!

2 floppy drives in RAID.

Awesome.

Oh my, I had voodoo cards in the early 90's. 3DFX was the company that made them. They were king in the day. Use to play glquake.

and i want a complete Voice Recognition system,

so i can sit back, relax and just talk to my computer

RECORD DARNET !!!!

Back