If No Man's An Island

volthause

This'll be my first contribution to the BBS here... I'm a bit intimidated by the great talent here, so I hope this stacks up.

(right click, 'save as')

Lots of space between the different instruments, big wide open sound, I like it. Good instrument seperation considering how dense this is. Plenty of punch and heat in this mix.

Vocals have a little 'sibilance' on them, too much reverb IMHO. Your vocals are very good ... don't bury them in effects or the mix. Starting 'to0 dry' is better, then board members can make more suggestions.

At 1:53 the backup harmony vocals are very nice, and mixed well.

At 2:02, the vocal is getting stepped on by the guitars. This is a vocally 'chorused' section and it's a golden moment, the vocals are much, much more important than any other instrument. No machine, no piece of wood or metal can ever be more important than good vocals and good harmony and backup vocals.

Second Listen :

Man those drums in the beginning are killer, nice snare.

I'm listening with headphones now, and yes, bring the instruments DOWN, down push the vocal up. At 00:53, yes, great vocals, but the instruments are really competing with them, don't cheat you and your fellow board members out of good vocals, please.

I'm begin very challenged generally to understand the lyrics, the choruses are ok, but you have to ask yourself, do you want the 'average' listener, and we on this board are not average listeners ... do you want the 'average' listener to be able to 'easily' understand your vocals ?

or ... is that not real important ?

I think a full string arrangement of supporting strings, harmony, long notes would sound great on this tune, heavy on the cellos ...

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more of your stuff.

The best thing in the tune were the drums in the begining.

Holy cow that's a big sound! Sounds like you've got a nice room to track in. Everything sounds really good. Maybe a little more drums would make it more explosive. I like the vocals where they are - just slightly buried fits the style of the song.

Let's hear about your rig! That's a great sound!

32 track EMU (Ensoniq) PARIS... a now discontinued hardware/software computer interface a-la Pro-Tools, but IMHO blows it off the map sonically.

Got some cheap pres (couple of blue-tubes)
Meek VC1-Q
Some sort of old ass ART Dual MP

couple of outboard compressors...

and some mics...
Rode NT-1
Oktava M319 (x2)
SM-57
SM-58 (x2)
Beta 52
Rode NT-5 (x2)

Event 20/20 bas monitors

and some other crap that's been sitting in the "mic closet" that hasn't been used in a while.

and thanks for the compliments. :)

...then why am I incontinent? :eek:

lol... j/k ... maybe incontinent (ie Holding one's self) waiting for this thing to d/l :D

Will get back when it finishes :) (1% on broadband)

Chad

Sounds great...no problems with the guitars, bass or drums.

The vocals need more presence in the mix. As much as I like the wall of guitars you've got going, don't you think the vocals should be coming through more? You know how to do it, so just do it. :)

Goddamn! I feel pummeled by the fullness of this! I'd kill for this fat-ass sound!

I'm hearing very few problems here. It's a bit "boomy" on my system, but maybe my sub's turned up too loud to compensate for my crappy music! :-)

Nice solo. LOVE the off-beat hats!

This f-ing rocks, my man.

You should be proud. Love the ending. You've got a bright future here, I can already tell.

Piltdown Man

Hey.... this sounds great on headphones. Really a smooth production here.

Just tried d/ling again here... took about 5 seconds... don't know what the hold up was before.

What type of ambience fx do you have running on the gtr tracks? ( delay/verb?) A bit of both, probably...

This does more than just "stack up". Production wise, you're runnin with all the big gorillas in here ;)

Stick around and help some of us lesser "talents" if you would :D

Chad

By the way, Participant, I just recorded a professional-sounding "ba-dum, crash" for your insanely funny one-liner. I'll send it to you. j/k

Thanks for the chuckle!

wow... i'm very humbled by the comments... thanks a lot, all of you.

i'll revisit the vocals and bring them up a little as per the recommendation. it does seem like they fight for sonic space in areas, but i've become so familiar with the material that i can understand the words at a lower volume. that's what i like about bouncing material off of other people...

and participant, i may be new here, but i know that you fall far from being a "lesser" talent. :) in response to your ambience question, the guitar has a little bit of a room type 'verb on it... something with a fairly limited bandwidth and short decay time, low send and return to the aux. keeping the lows out of reverbs really help keep the 'murk' down.

volt - ...and you were concerned about posting because of all the talent here. That's a bunch of CRAP! :D Did someone say somthing about incontinence?! :D

I was floored when those drums kicked in! Huge sound! Nice!

Cool song and everthing sounds great to me. My only complaint is not hearing the vocals well enough. I heard them fine through the first verse. I think the chorus could be a little better defined.

Second time through I am hearing the vocals better, but I still think a little more presence especially on the chorus the call.

Nice job.

volthause,

Great sounding track! Really good groove and feel through out the track.

The bottom end did sound a little bit heavy on my end here too but, I didn't loose a driver so, I guess that makes it acceptable!

Vocals could have stood out a little bit more but I could hear it all pretty clearly and they were sung well. Nice backing harmonies too.

I guess as a listener on this one, the guitars held the king's share of my attention, once I heard the vocals kick in and sound competent but, I did loose focus on hearing the words. They became an other colour in the sound so, yeah, think about doing something to get them more attention from the listener.

Nice work all around! It rocked!

Cheers! :)

Damnit! I picked the wrong week to give up smoking pot!
I can't turn this up loud enough -

If y'all are having trouble hearing the vocals - try turning it UP!

Awesome tune!! A real keeper for me - it'll set the tone for a good CD. I just a/b'd this with the Hellacopters - I like your sound better.

Holy Crap!

Man when that starts you KNOW IT!! Huge sound!!!!!!

Pretty damn good, maybe just a little more vocals everything sounds awesome!

A very nice, thick sound. Drums sound great (what drumset are you playing?), as do the guitars (great crunchy guitar tone, what amp are you using?), and bass. The vocals also sound good. A very good mix, volthouse.

Great sound Volthouse! Along the lines that the vox need to come up....I think its really that they sound like they had too much mids pulled out. They stand out just fine here on my HR824 monitors. The bottom end is perfect IMHO.

Thanks,
Justin

This is a pretty rockin' mix overall, but I'd have to agree that it's definitely bottom end heavy (mostly in the bass guitar). The lead vocal does need to be more forward, and it seems to be leaning a bit to the left as well (?). I'd also like to hear the guitar solo a little less "diffuse"...whatever processing you're using on the solo needs to be brought down a tad, and maybe give the solo a boost of another dB or so. Guitars and drums sound killer though!

Excellent job! :)

thanks for all the compliments and suggestions! it really helps to set things up for a remix!

as to the setup:

the drums are Sonar 3000, circa 1994 with a ludwig metal snare. ambassedor coated snare head, remo pin strip tom heads.

the guitar is an ibanez JS-6 (mahogany body with fixed bridge) with a duncan PA-TB2b pickup in the bridge.

amp is marshall jcm-800 50 watt with a slightly hot-rodded gain stage, running through a custom 2x12 cab with the celestion speakers geeked out of a 1960A 4x12 cab. mic'd the top speaker with an SM-58 with the ball removed (i don't know why, but i like the sound of this vs. an SM-57 even though people swear that they are the same mic... it just sounds a tad smoother) running through a Meek VC1-Q.

LooneyTunez: I guess the effect you're hearing on the solo is that the guitar solo is triple tracked with one up front center, one panned 9 o'clock and on panned 3 o'clock. I guess I could favor the center track a bit more and let the panned double and triple fall into the background more... i'll have to play with that a little.

Back